• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bullet Recommendation for Deer .223

I have heard good things about 55 grain TSX. You'll need to google and make sure the longer all copper bullet will stabilize in the 1:12 and it if will you should be good to go. The TSX are longer than copper/lead bullets and need a little faster twist.

On the side of the box, the 53 grain TSX I bought says 1:12 or better.

If you don't want to load yourself just to check accuracy, Winchester Black Box Ballistic Silver Tips in 50 or 55 grain do wonders on deer

Last edited:
On the side I the box, the 53 grain TSX I bought says 1:12 or better.

If you don't want to load yourself just to check accuracy, Winchester Black Box Ballistic Silver Tips in 50 or 55 grain do wonders on deer

The 50-55 grain loads are varmint loads. They may do wonders if you don't happen to hit a bone, but they were not designed for medium sized game. You could end up blowing a pie plate sized hole an inch deep in a deer by using those thin jacketed, lower density bullets. Poor choice.

The 50-55 grain loads are varmint loads. They may do wonders if you don't happen to hit a bone, but they were not designed for medium sized game. You could end up blowing a pie plate sized hole an inch deep in a deer by using those thin jacketed, lower density bullets. Poor choice.

My ex wife and husband inlaw shoot a mini 14 with the BT Winchester mentioned above. They both limit out every year and never loose a deer. I was skeptical to say the least when I didn't have the ex status, but they've always faired well with that combo-

Caution: All information obtained here on the Internet is just that; Info obtained on the Internet.
I can only speak about my experiences, or the experiences I pay for that someone else enjoys.

Load jelly beams in some casings if you want to. Free world Jack

The 60 grain partition is a killer. It expands well and penetrates. Shot placement is still crucial, it's a small bullet. I've killed around a dozen deer with a 223, unless it was a spine shot, most required some tracking.

Back
Top Bottom