• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brit needs pulled pork!

I don't do "BBQ" in the Crockpot but I do slow cook shoulders in them (busy family life). I do "carnitas" in the Crockpot and they're pretty damn good after a few minutes under broiler. Get you some liquid smoke and a few butts and start your R&D, you might be surprised.

IMG_1385.JPG
If you have an oven, use that. Put the shoulder roast or Boston butt in an oven safe pan, top with a little onion and sliced apples, lightly salt and pour on some liquid smoke, tightly seal with heavy aluminum foil. Heat your oven to 225*, cook for 12-14 hours. The smoke ring on meat is not caused by smoke but by carbon monoxide exposure while the meat protein is at less than 150*, so keeping the meat at this temp as long as possible in a slow oven will produce the characteristic smoke ring even without the smoke. The liquid smoke will give it the smoke flavor you are looking for. Long cooking time will break down the collagen and make it, fall off the bone tender. Not as good as a smoker but certainly good eating.

I cook a butt sometimes in a Dutch oven in the oven set at 300 for 8 to 9 hrs. Should work in a crock pot. Super easy. Put onions and celery on bottom, place butt on top, pour in a can of Cola, Dr. Pepper is fine if that is what you have, a large pot may need more than 1 can. Dump I small can of chipotle peppers on top. When done, there will be a lot of grease on top of the sauce left in the pot. I use a turkey baster thingy to get some of the sauce to put on the pulled meat. Don't want the grease

Butt Rub or similar BBQ seasoning dry rub a shoulder and tightly wrap in foil with foil seams at the top of the shoulder....

Low and slow in the oven....lowest setting your oven can go and cook it for 1 hour per pound of meat...hopefully 225-250° on that oven.

Let rest for an hour before opening foil.

Shred or pull pork with forks after resting

Add your favorite sauce if you want but usually it doesn't need it if you wrapped it tightly enough.

That's my go to easy peasy pulled pork recipe for when I can't use the smoker or an easy dinner at work.

Back
Top Bottom