• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Way to Get Rid of Coyotes

There were never coyotes in the south? Not being a smart ass, just truly didn't know that. I grew up in the Midwest, I thought they were pretty much everywhere, hell I've even seen them just outside of New York City.

Imported to south georgia in the hey day of fox hunting and they flourished,now you know.Yes you will argue they would have made it here anyway and that is probably true but fox hunters sped it up.I kill every one I can

There were never coyotes in the south? Not being a smart ass, just truly didn't know that. I grew up in the Midwest, I thought they were pretty much everywhere, hell I've even seen them just outside of New York City.
I read somewhere that DNR claimed they were brought to Ga in the 70's and released in pens to train fox hounds, a fox will only run for a period of time while yotes will run all day.

- - - Updated - - -

Biker beat me to it, never mind

Imported to south georgia in the hey day of fox hunting and they flourished,now you know.Yes you will argue they would have made it here anyway and that is probably true but fox hunters sped it up.I kill every one I can

We raised cattle (black baldies mainly) and lost some calves every year to yotes. It was just the cost of doing business in their hunting territory though. I was constantly amazed at their ability to adapt and learn how to negotiate new threats. Pretty amazing animals really. I understand their presence can be a nuisance, but that's how it worked out. No more their fault than ours as you pointed out.

I read somewhere that DNR claimed they were brought to Ga in the 70's and released in pens to train fox hounds, a fox will only run for a period of time while yotes will run all day.

- - - Updated - - -

Biker beat me to it, never mind

Yeah, we hunted coyotes with greyhounds and Irish wolfhounds for a bit. The coyote has incredible stamina and intelligence, they made up for the deficit of speed with smarts, and tenacity. Hard not to respect a critter like that.

Yeah, we hunted coyotes with greyhounds and Irish wolfhounds for a bit. The coyote has incredible stamina and intelligence, they made up for the deficit of speed with smarts, and tenacity. Hard not to respect a critter like that.
We hunted them up North frequently; local farmers would pay $10/yote.... Good money when you're a teenager

As a hunter, I always hate these threads because invariably somebody will recommend any number of things that will kill indiscrimately, inhumanely and illegally.
The best way to get rid of coyotes is to (legally) trap them. They are readily trapped if you know what you are doing and can be trapped year round. It is INFINITELY more effective than shooting them. If you are trying to shoot them in your backyard, you will have done VERY well to be able to shoot more than one. They are canines and they are SMART. They are not likely to be fooled twice, I know, I have the same "issue".
A remote control electronic call, of any kind (provided it has even decent sount quality) is better than having the dogs come in looking directly at you. I have an older Foxpro but have had success with even a cheap handheld ($20) call.
They WILL circle downwind, EVERY time, book it. Set the call up as far upwind as you can but with a clear shooting site to within 50 yds downwind of the call and have it. Good luck.
No coyotes are NOT native to Georgia and while they may have interbred with the once native Red Wolf as DNA sampling suggests they are in fact a different critter WAY more prevalent. As little as 25 years ago they were not only not in every county (as they are now) but seeing one at all in most of Georgia was something to talk about. They are absolutely everywhere now including all of rural, suburban and even urban Georgia.
I also (legally) shoot every blasted one I see.

Last edited:
Coyotes may have never been native to GA, but the Red Wolf, which has the identical DNA was or is Native... As was the Bison, the mountain Bison was actually bigger than the Bison found in yellowstone! These are where the early roads in GA came from.... There were also eastern Elk...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom