• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Ever. best of gun accidents

I love when you write posts like this. It makes me think you should write a book.
I agree with you on all points of that. lol. You would need one hell of a muzzle break to make it manageable and you would need to throw away that European stock they tend build those rifles on cause short stocks and powerful cartridges make for some nasty recoil. Do you remember Death in Silent places where Capstick talks about the guy being able to kill elephants with .257 roberts? Hell Captsick made a career out of killing everything on the African continent with a .357 H&H bolt action rifle for all of the reasons you stated. As for big bore guns I like the .460 Weatherby but have not used one in real life so I defer to your personal experience for the go to big bore

I remember reading that about the .257. I think I'll pass though. LOL! I believe in using enough gun. I'm more of a Elmer Keith than a Jack O'Connor kind of guy, but there is a practical limit. My go to rifle for anything short of Elephant is a .375 Remington Ultra Mag. It throws a 300 grain bullet at a little over 2900fps and generates 5700 pounds of energy with LOTS of penetration. Just for fun it does this with a similar trajectory to a 180 grain bullet from a .308 Win. It would do fine on Elephant too, but I like the idea of a bigger caliber for traditions sake if nothing else.

As for writing a book. There are way to many folks that know a lot more than I do. I just read what they write and try to apply a little common sense. Thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:
I remember reading that about the .257. I think I'll pass though. LOL! I believe in using enough gun. I'm more of a Elmer Keith than a Jack O'Connor kind of guy, but there is a practical limit. My go to rifle for anything short of Elephant is a .375 Remington Ultra Mag. It throws a 300 grain bullet at a little over 2900fps and generates 5700 pounds of energy with LOTS of penetration. Just for fun it does this with a similar trajectory to a 180 grain bullet from a .308 Win. It would do fine on Elephant too, but I like the idea of a bigger caliber for traditions sake if nothing else.

As for writing a book. There are way to many folks that know a lot more than I do. I just read what they write and try to apply a little common sense. Thanks anyway. :)

Lol Nostalgia is good but we come from two different generations of the gun world. It seems like your generation Bear is built around practicality, purpose driven machines to do specific jobs. My generation seems to be built around excess and tacticool factors. For game on this continent I have witnessed the 7 mag kill just about all of it, so it amazes me when I read about hunters using buffalo rounds to hunt deer with, especially southern deer which in my own observations stand shorter with less body mass than the Midwest variety of whitetail deer.
The way you describe the Ultra mag makes me want to get behind that rifle and put a round or two down range. Yet I think you and I come from the same mentality that just because you can does not mean you should.
As for the book, forget it just make podcast and be hip. Lol.

I am like 98.24% sure I know the girl at 2:26...Im going to have to show it to her tomorrow and see if it is her...It sure looks like her.

Lol Nostalgia is good but we come from two different generations of the gun world. It seems like your generation Bear is built around practicality, purpose driven machines to do specific jobs. My generation seems to be built around excess and tacticool factors. For game on this continent I have witnessed the 7 mag kill just about all of it, so it amazes me when I read about hunters using buffalo rounds to hunt deer with, especially southern deer which in my own observations stand shorter with less body mass than the Midwest variety of whitetail deer.
The way you describe the Ultra mag makes me want to get behind that rifle and put a round or two down range. Yet I think you and I come from the same mentality that just because you can does not mean you should.
As for the book, forget it just make podcast and be hip. Lol.

Me...Hip? BAHAHAHAHA!
I can't even figure out how to take pics from the net and post them here. I've tried, too. Never works.

Back
Top Bottom