• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Bourbon that doesn't break the bank?

I was always told back in the day when I worked at a liquor store that scotch is whiskey only from Scotland, bourbon is whiskey that only comes from Kentucky. So, that bottle should not have bourbon on the bottle. I am a macallan scotch drinker almost exclusively as I rarely drink, but I will have to check this out as I lived in the old fourth ward in the late 90’s way before it was gentrified😂.

There's no law saying that Bourbon has to be from Kentucky, although that's been the tradition.

------------------
What Makes A Whiskey Bourbon?

There are a few things that make a whiskey bourbon.

First, it must be made in the United States.

Second, it must be made from a grain mixture of at least 51% corn.

Third, it must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.

Fourth, it must be distilled to no more than 160 proof and bottled at no less than 80 proof.

Finally, it must not contain any additives.

---------------
To be 'bottled in bond' there's a couple of additional criteria.
---------------

To be labeled as bottled-in-bond or bonded, the liquor must be the product of one distillation season (January–June or July–December) by one distiller at one distillery.

It must have been aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 (U.S.) proof (50% alcohol by volume).

The bottled product's label must identify the distillery where it was distilled and, if different, where it was bottled

Looks enticing but I don't drink. The taste makes me gag not to mention takes my breath away literally, as I. I cant breath in for about 15 seconds then I have to blow out first before I start again. One question for you. How in St. Christopher's name did you develope a taste for that stuff? I know you had to fight the karn for years before it actually started to taste good.
Perhaps you waited too late in life to start.
12 seems to be the age me and my friends started.

I pour Blantons, almost exclusively, not sure how it compares in cost.
Bourbons are like craft beers... The market has exploded. I'd continue to try a few different ones till ya find one ya really like.
I think Blanton’s might very well be the best bourbon on the face of the planet. Which Blanton’s do you like? Just the regular?

Then why are you in this thread? All good, I just don’t understand. Bored?
Yep! Bored you got it! I don't do drugs or drink but I can live vicariously through you guys. I mean is that allowed here? Is that okay with you?

Me and Craig Barker and Randy Trusty we're going to Altus Oklahoma one night to go see the movie Creep Show in 1983. We got this bright idea to get a bottle of Wild Turkey. I think we all got about four swallows down and then threw it in the glove compartment where it stayed for months on end. Until one night they got bored and desperate for a buzz and managed to muscle most of it down. That stuff burned the taste buds off my tongue.

I just keep seeing this bourbon thread and you guys just make it sound so enticing. I just never could develop a taste for it. My father loved it. He loved him some Maker's Mark.

Back
Top Bottom