• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 9mm carbine?

My featherlite is cooler.
1635354618305.png

Okay, so if I were looking for a 9mm carbine (16" barrel, staying out of NFA territory for now, and NO, I don't want an "arm brace" that doubles duty as a shoulder stock) and I want it to have these characteristics, what are my choices:

1-- Looks like an AR-15 type long gun, or M4, at first glance.

2-- Actually has the same manual of arms. Same buttons and levers in the same positions, doing the same functions, as anybody who's used an M16 / M4 would already be familiar with.
(this means the Just Right Carbine's off the list).

3-- Uses very popular and easily available magazines, which we could expect to still be available (maybe black market, maybe at higher prices) in the future, after some new gun law is passed. .At this time, I think that means I'm looking at 9mm carbines that use the Glock 17 / 18 / 19 magazines. That's all I know of, for full capacity 9mm pistols.
(The real Colt 9mm carbines are off the list for this reason. Mags are proprietary and expensive.)

4-- Is offered as a rifle, with a 16" barrel and a real butt stock. (Doesn't have to be fixed; could be telescoping).

5-- BONUS (not a firm requirement, but it would be nice): Threaded muzzle for a suppressor.
Beretta CX4 Storm ?

I posted a thread recently asking opinions of the Ruger PC9 versus the Sub 2000. Most of the comments leaned toward the Ruger which I already have. I like it but it's on the heavy side. Thpught I migjt prefer the Kel Tec for the lighter weight and folding option. The Ruger has the take down feature but I really never use it.
Anyway according to the comments I got the Ruger is the better made rifle . But I already assumed that. The Sub 2000 is the handier more compact rifle.
My Dad had a Sub 2000 in .40 Smith&Wesson and it was reliable with the 180 grain but unreliable with 165 grain rounds. It would work for an emergency carbine, but your Ruger would "inspire" a lot more confidence if you actually had to use it.

My Dad had a Sub 2000 in .40 Smith&Wesson and it was reliable with the 180 grain but unreliable with 165 grain rounds. It would work for an emergency carbine, but your Ruger would "inspire" a lot more confidence if you actually had to use it.
Yeah it seems to be typical Ruger quality as far as fit and finish. And the few rounds I was able to put through it were flawless even cheap steel case.
Maybe it's that plastic stock I don't dig. And that's pretty trivial in the big picture. But still, if it wasn't for the Glock mag convenience I swear I would be trying to trade it for an old Marlin Camp 9.

Okay, so if I were looking for a 9mm carbine (16" barrel, staying out of NFA territory for now, and NO, I don't want an "arm brace" that doubles duty as a shoulder stock) and I want it to have these characteristics, what are my choices:

1-- Looks like an AR-15 type long gun, or M4, at first glance.

2-- Actually has the same manual of arms. Same buttons and levers in the same positions, doing the same functions, as anybody who's used an M16 / M4 would already be familiar with.
(this means the Just Right Carbine's off the list).

3-- Uses very popular and easily available magazines, which we could expect to still be available (maybe black market, maybe at higher prices) in the future, after some new gun law is passed. .At this time, I think that means I'm looking at 9mm carbines that use the Glock 17 / 18 / 19 magazines. That's all I know of, for full capacity 9mm pistols.
(The real Colt 9mm carbines are off the list for this reason. Mags are proprietary and expensive.)

4-- Is offered as a rifle, with a 16" barrel and a real butt stock. (Doesn't have to be fixed; could be telescoping).

5-- BONUS (not a firm requirement, but it would be nice): Threaded muzzle for a suppressor.
If you want a rifle length gun, get a rifle cartridge.

Wanted ya'lls opinion on the best 9mm carbine for the buck. Any advice on from the Hi-point to the Kel-tec to the Beretta or anything in between. Looking for a good toy to enjoy at the range. Thanks!
For another choice - take a look at the TNW Aero Survival rifle.
It’s a tool-less takedown that is lightweight and packable. Not exactly a tack-driver, but reasonable accurate.
Cabela’s & Bass Pro have them.
A nifty feature is the availability of caliber conversions for around $250
.40s&w, .347 Sig, .45acp, 10mm, .460 Rowland

For another choice - take a look at the TNW Aero Survival rifle.
It’s a tool-less takedown that is lightweight and packable. Not exactly a tack-driver, but reasonable accurate.
Cabela’s & Bass Pro have them.
A nifty feature is the availability of caliber conversions for around $250
.40s&w, .347 Sig, .45acp, 10mm, .460 Rowland
Hickok 45 makes it look fun.

Back
Top Bottom