Aussies don't drink Fosters.

Now what a second they did in the late 70's.
So here's the story;
On leave from the Marines I was up at our little family cabin with my extremely big little brother.
He was sitting outside drinking a Fosters and offered me one, I had never seen one until that time.
So he hands me a beer and I realize it's huge. In his big paws it looked like a regular beer.

A year or so later I'm in Perth Australia, we had to go on Liberty in uniform and I walk into a bar. They have Fosters on tap. I think it'll be fun to tell my little brother that I had a Fosters draft in Australia, so I order one.

Next to me is a giant guy about the size of my little brother, red hair, beard. A minute later this guy comes over and taps me on the shoulders and says something like "Ya wanna play darts Yank?". I declined. I'm probably on my 2nd beer when he comes back over and asks again and explains it's just for a beer. (See darts is like pool there, the board is yours and you take on challengers till your team loses) I had never played a game of darts in my life, the closest I'd played is throwing them from one side of our cellar to the other at the board 30 or 40 feet away.

Then the big red haired fellow sitting besides me taps me on my shoulder (damn near knocking me off the bar stool) and says "C'mon Yank we'll play them, if we lose I'll buy the beers." So I get up, since he was a giant and not actually giving me a choice.

Well little did I realize that the board is real close to the line (nothing like one side of the cellar to the other) and this big guy could stand up on one leg lean forward and damn near poke them into the board! So we win, we get a beer. Somebody else plays us, we win we get a beer. About this time I'm realizing I'm not too steady on my feet, in a Marine Sgt's uniform in a foreign country and so I tell the big fella it's time for me to sit down.

We're just talking for awhile when the big guy goes silent. Then he looks at me and says "Aye mate, I'm getting bloody pissed!" My blood ran cold, my adrenaline kicked in. I was going to have to fight for my life, so the giant wouldn't wipe the floor with me in uniform. I immediately restorted to diplomacy and asked "Are you pissed at me? Is it something I said?" And he just looked at me without saying a word, so I said "You pissed at those guys? And pointed at the guys we had beaten that kept asking us to play another game and not taking no for an answer. Then he said "No mate, I'm pissed, DRUNK". Shew! International crisis averted! The story ends with him inviting me to meet the missus and have some tea. I was really happy when I found out "tea" was actually dinner.

I know what I was drinking that night and it was Fosters! Lol

Love it, what a wonderful story!!!:cool:

had a british guy who lived on my street say the same thing

"he was right pissed". so i asked, "what was he mad about". and he repeats. "no, he was pissed".......im confused and then he says "he was inebriated".

ahh ok, got it now

Another lesson in Australian: Pissed as a fart!:cool:

Put a shrimp on the bar-bee dingo

He's in France now. I think outdoor grills are against the law in France.

You want a beer? Its 8 am in the morning... Scotch ?

Naa. Too early to drink for me. Just remember some fun times drinking oil cans back in the day when I was a young man.

actually, I drinking Ginger Ale and Bourbon right now, enjoying the rain. It's going to be a great Day

I'm jealous.

Back
Top Bottom