• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Are CMP garands worth it?

I heard from a milsurp guy that the Germans waited to hear the pings before attacking.
For what it's worth...

Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn did a test of the PING claims in one of Larry's old TV shows. Ken fired an M1 in a forest setting, with Larry trying to hear the ping and figure out Ken's location. They did it from several hundred yards away and each time Larry moved closer.

Their result was....
1) Larry had a hard time just hearing it unless he was close.
2) Larry couldn't tell the exact direction from which it came.

Larry said (IIRC), based on their testing he doesn't believe the PING stories. Plus he's never heard of a documented case of the PING claims really happening. Their test was in a quiet setting without any other rifles being fired around them.

I can't imagine hearing a PING and figuring out a direction in combat with hundreds of other guns (including Garands) going off around you. Hearing one ping, figuring out it's location and attacking that soldier seems foolhardy knowing that other GIs could have full 8rd enbloc clips just waiting for you to try it. Just my opinion of course......

1669041241176.png

And yes it's worth a trip to get one or two. Fun to shoot and a piece of history.

There was no limit for a long time, or the "limit" was something like several per year, and people would buy them just to flip them. Unethical and probably illegal, but flippers, like scofflaws in general, ruin it for everybody else.
They give the government a good reason to make new laws/ rules.

P.S. I bought mine from the U.S. Army D.C.M. -- Department of Civilian Marksmanship. Cost $167.
It was a good gun. Not sure if it had any "collector's value" due to which subcontractor made which parts, but it was a shooter. I kept it 20+ years then sold it.

Per CMP website:
Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year.

I understand they were having customers walk in and buy 8 at one time, so CMP no longer allows that. Or so I heard.

Back
Top Bottom