• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR10?

I have an LR308 with the 24" threaded stainless fluted bull barrel. With that being said It's not really configured to be a combat rifle but more of a long range target style rig. It's very heavy especially with a 6-24x50 and a bipod hanging on it. It doesn't seem to cut any appreciable weight to use a 4 round mag. When not sitting at a bench like in hunting situations the protruding pistol grip and magazine seem to be in the way making an already heavy rifle also bulky. If you can get it set up like in a beanfield situation or on a bench it is is extremely accurate. If you're gonna choose one for anything but targets you're gonna want a different setup than the long heavy barrel.
The M1A loaded in my opinion though heavy seems easier to control when not sitting at a bench. The classic style of the stock does away with the bulk and a protrusions that seemed to get in the way on the AR especially if used with a 5 round flush fit magazine.
This is really a comparison of apples and oranges because of all of the different configurations available for both platforms. But in my opinion but the M1A with a flush fit mag just seems better suited for shooting from a variety of positions.

I have an LR308 with the 24" threaded stainless fluted bull barrel. With that being said It's not really configured to be a combat rifle but more of a long range target style rig. It's very heavy especially with a 6-24x50 and a bipod hanging on it. It doesn't seem to cut any appreciable weight to use a 4 round mag. When not sitting at a bench like in hunting situations the protruding pistol grip and magazine seem to be in the way making an already heavy rifle also bulky. If you can get it set up like in a beanfield situation or on a bench it is is extremely accurate. If you're gonna choose one for anything but targets you're gonna want a different setup than the long heavy barrel.
The M1A loaded in my opinion though heavy seems easier to control when not sitting at a bench. The classic style of the stock does away with the bulk and a protrusions that seemed to get in the way on the AR especially if used with a 5 round flush fit magazine.
This is really a comparison of apples and oranges because of all of the different configurations available for both platforms. But in my opinion but the M1A with a flush fit mag just seems better suited for shooting from a variety of positions.

Mine is the LR308B. It has a 16 inch medium weight barrel and a 1.25 to 4 illuminated scope. It's very handy and fast in CQB. It is also head shot accurate to 600 yards. Hit them fast, hard and exactly where you want to. I love it. One round center mass with a 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and they're done. No double tap needed. One shot, one kill from point blank to beyond 800 yards. What's not to like?

I have both platforms. Each has it own unique characteristics. If hard pressed to choose, I would probably prefer the AR platform slightly more than the M1A.

KAC SR-25 Mk11 Mod 0
[Broken External Image]:

Springfield Armory M1A
i100.photobucket.com_albums_m8_jamesrea_2006_DSC00448.jpg

Polytech M14S w/ USGI M14 stock
[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
What's the difference between an M1A and an M14. I grew up shooting a Springfield Armory M14. I'm pretty sure it was an M14, that's what my dad always called it....

What's the difference between an M1A and an M14. I grew up shooting a Springfield Armory M14. I'm pretty sure it was an M14, that's what my dad always called it....

M1A is semi auto only while the M14 tends to be understood to be select fire. Now, that said, there are some companies that make the rifles and market them as M14s though they are only semi auto, I believe Fulton Armory is one of them, or at least I read somewhere once that they did so. Other then that there is no real difference.

Anyone got an AR10? How do you like it-compared to an M1A1?

To be honost the AR 10 could have been the replacement for the M1 garand
But the old timer
BRass up top back in the 1950s didnt see it as that. They thought it looked more like a toy.
This rifle was 60 years ahead of its time.

It is an awesome rifle. IT has plenty of power, and Can take down what ever is in front of it. very accurate, great long distance shooter.

Like Chuckdog said, both are great weapons. The thing is that most people don't recognize that the AR10 is every bit as good as the M1A. I love the AR10 platform and believe the US Military should go to it as their primary battle rifle. In both the military and later as a civilian I carried the M16/AR15 platform for years, but my weapon of choice today is the AR10.
In comparison to the AR15 there are typically three complaints about the AR10.

1) "It's heavy." Yes it is, but not any heavier than other true battle rifles. If it's a situation where a very light weapon is needed we would still have the M4, but the AR10 should be primary. The M4 should be a PDW for tankers and such, not a battle rifle.

2) "It has to much recoil." Not with a muzzle break. Which would also function as the flash suppressor.

3) "You can't carry as much ammo." You don't need as much ammo. The stopping power and barrier breaching ability of the 308 is so superior to the 223 that the enemy will be dead with many fewer rounds fired and lots quicker. That also means they won't be shooting back nearly as much. That's a very desirable trait to anyone being shot at.

If we changed over to the AR10 you can bet there would be a lot of b**ching and moaning among the troops right up until they used it in combat the first time. Then the attitude would change to "Oh, f**k yeah!" very quickly.
bring this to afganistan. They have been b!tching about the 5.56 does not get the job done. Those afgans are all hopped up on opium. you shoot them they keep running......
But you shoot with a 308
that clown is going down.

Back
Top Bottom