• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR10?

I've shot an Armalite AR10 carbine and it shot okay, but really needed a little work before I would have run it in a combat situation, but if was a light rifle that had heavy knock down, and was accuarte. But it really depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle and your budget. The AR10 platform can be made to preform and like the AR15 is very accurate, in a carbine to light rifle set up it is going to be much lighter, especially when you consider adding lights, laser, and rails. If you were to look at the AR10 platform I would look at the RRA LAR-8 which take FAL mags or a platform that is going to take the SR25 pattern mags which would let you use the .308 Pmags. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but when it comes to scoping, rails, adjustable stocks, and lighter weight I would look at the AR10 platform.

I carry and shoot a ar10 about 3 or 4 nights a week 4 to 6 hours ,and would not want to use any other platform for what I do.My only complaint is weight .The rifle weighs 8 plus pounds,scope is 3 pounds,and add 2 pounds of ammo and one or 2 acc and it gets heavy quick.BUT The M1A1 is not any lighter ,and a ar has alot more options in the parts aspect.Long story short both are heavy as h## ,but my vote goes to ar 10.

I've had both formats. The AR format is great if you like modern aluminum and plastic, but the M1A is a classic walnut and steel workhorse. I prefer the M1A hands down. Both are great in their own way. It's just personal preference for me.

I've had both formats. The AR format is great if you like modern aluminum and plastic, but the M1A is a classic walnut and steel workhorse. I prefer the M1A hands down. Both are great in their own way. It's just personal preference for me.

Does aluminum come in modern and vintage?

Like Chuckdog said, both are great weapons. The thing is that most people don't recognize that the AR10 is every bit as good as the M1A. I love the AR10 platform and believe the US Military should go to it as their primary battle rifle. In both the military and later as a civilian I carried the M16/AR15 platform for years, but my weapon of choice today is the AR10.
In comparison to the AR15 there are typically three complaints about the AR10.

1) "It's heavy." Yes it is, but not any heavier than other true battle rifles. If it's a situation where a very light weapon is needed we would still have the M4, but the AR10 should be primary. The M4 should be a PDW for tankers and such, not a battle rifle.

2) "It has to much recoil." Not with a muzzle break. Which would also function as the flash suppressor.

3) "You can't carry as much ammo." You don't need as much ammo. The stopping power and barrier breaching ability of the 308 is so superior to the 223 that the enemy will be dead with many fewer rounds fired and lots quicker. That also means they won't be shooting back nearly as much. That's a very desirable trait to anyone being shot at.

If we changed over to the AR10 you can bet there would be a lot of b**ching and moaning among the troops right up until they used it in combat the first time. Then the attitude would change to "Oh, f**k yeah!" very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom