• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR lowers, what’s the diff?

Reputation/Time = $$$$$$

Cheaper/Faster will still do the job = less $$

Knights Armament, LWRC ,Wilson Combat, Larue, JP, Lancer:
build guns/parts with the reputation to back it up to normally better than mil-spec with very high quality control.

Colt, FN, BCM:
mostly build guns to mil-spec or better, high quality control..Col/FN branded parts are harder to get.

AERO, Spikes, and a few others build to mil-spec with decent quality control

Anderson and some just do mil-spec and qc is not as strict as some of the others.

If you have a built lower that works..leave it alone and if you want you can build another lower the way you want it.

The devil is in the details.
Trigger Pin and other holes correct placement and size.
Mag well flared or the edge just smoothed down.
Full Auto shelf or semi only..not that this matters in most cases since we peasants don't have fa sears.
Custom roll marks or not..they should be well made.
Finished in type 3 anodizing * BEFORE cerocoating since type 3 increases durability.

Hardcoat Anodizing, often called "Type III anodizing" as denoted by the MIL-A-8625 specification, is an electrochemical process that creates a controlled oxide film on the surface of aluminum. Hardcoat Anodizing utilizes sulfuric acid, low bath temperatures, and high voltage to produce a very high surface hardness (60-70 Rockwell C). Hardcoat Anodizing is generally used for applications that need a corrosion, abrasion, and wear resistant coating. The appearance of the coating ranges from light to dark gray, depending on the alloy makeup of the aluminum substrate, and it can also be dyed black.

Cerocoating has it's place and it's own bonuses such as lubricity and Skittles colors.

With all that said a properly fitted Anderson a.k.a. "Poverty Pony" will serve you as well most.

I have an Anderson ..it's functional but pick it up, then handle my hunting Wilson Combat or my LWRC..charge the bolt..pull the trigger..you can tell which one cost more and why.
I could have built four for what I have in my ambidextrous LWRC lower.
Do I really need the LWRC...no..but the WANT was high.

Now I have seen some Anderson and a few other lower cost lowers with out of spec trigger pin holes.
ALL were replaced by the store/manufacturer.

If it works shoot it and be happy.
Buy or build another if your not.

that is excellent information. Getting more comfortable with what I have. I never realized that hard coat anodizing has the same Rockwell rating as some of my higher end D2 and S30V knife blades.

Have you ever watched AR15 torture test / melt down videos on youtube?

Respect your rifle and don't abuse it and it will last years.
Shooting mag dumps of Tula crap..not so much.

:yo::yo::yo::yo:I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ve got a little homework but information is invaluable. Thanks to all the members for helping me out. :hail:

Short and simple. There is forged and billet. I like forged better. And then there asthetics that is the biggest difference all of them. Most are made to mil-,spec measurements so that's why they are so modular. Then there is price. Usually the recievers that are made to tighter specs with a fancy finish are more expensive. Without going into specialized equipment that's about it.

Cool information, not trying to steal a post but figured this would be the quickest way to get some attention on this question, how about polymer lowers? Any good ones? Any to stay away from?

I have heard a lot of structural failures there where the buffer tube mates to the lower. The might have improved on it but I wouldn't touch a poly lower with a ten foot pole. Just stick with your standard forged lower and all will be well. As long as you put good parts in it.

I have heard a lot of structural failures there where the buffer tube mates to the lower. The might have improved on it but I wouldn't touch a poly lower with a ten foot pole. Just stick with your standard forged lower and all will be well. As long as you put good parts in it.

Cool thanks for the info, it was the Omni Hybrid that was getting my attention it is supposed to be reinforced and they claim to be the Glock of polymer lowers, I know Bushmaster made some really bad uppers and lowers.

Back
Top Bottom