• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR lowers, what’s the diff?

There are waaaay more than 4-5 companies that make uppers and lowers. Just off the top of my head I can name 12 quality manufacturers of upper receivers, and there are quite a bit more than that.

Even if 2 companies buy their lower receivers from the same manufacturer, this does not mean that both are equal. Different vendors will specify different levels of fit, finish, quality control, etc., from the manufacturer. These differences can greatly effect the overall quality of the final result, as well as how much they cost to make. Just because Company A and Company B both buy their receivers from Manufacturer X does not mean that they are the same receivers.

You are correct in that parts like the barrel are more important than the receivers.....within reason. Other primarily important parts include the BCG, gas system, and buffer system.
When people say that they don't seem to understand that what they are talking about is raw forgings. There are only a dozen or so forges who make the raw forgings. I always get a kick when people list an upper by who's forging marks are on it. Doesn't mean much. They are forged to outer dimensions only. Who does the machine work and anodizing is what is important, not who forged the raw casting. Here is a picture of a raw forging of an upper. Lower is in the same degree of finishing from the forge. Manufacturers buy it from a forging company and do the machine work and anodizing. Aero makes many other brands out there. For a few bucks you can have them finished with your own roll mark on it. After you get the variance from the ATF.
forging.jpg

When people say that they don't seem to understand that what they are talking about is raw forgings. There are only a dozen or so forges who make the raw forgings. I always get a kick when people list an upper by who's forging marks are on it. Doesn't mean much. They are forged to outer dimensions only. Who does the machine work and anodizing is what is important, not who forged the raw casting. Here is a picture of a raw forging of an upper. Lower is in the same degree of finishing from the forge. Manufacturers buy it from a forging company and do the machine work and anodizing. Aero makes many other brands out there. For a few bucks you can have them finished with your own roll mark on it. After you get the variance from the ATF.
View attachment 2699243
Most excellent! Very well laid out.

Do they make Carbon Fiber lowers? I thought I read somewhere that you can get a carbon fiber barrel for some guns. Or am I nuts?

Do they make Carbon Fiber lowers? I thought I read somewhere that you can get a carbon fiber barrel for some guns. Or am I nuts?

Synthetic lowers have too many issues to fool around with on a gun that you need to depend on. If it’s just going to be a toy, give it a shot.

A carbon fiber barrel has a thin steel liner where the bore/rifling is, wrapped in carbon fiber.

Yeah, not something I’m interested in. It’s just I’m a gear head also and know that over the last couple of years they’ve done some interesting things with true carbon fiber.

I know the carbon fiber lowers aren't worth a darn. I thought they were cool until I actually saw one of those bushmasters put out that was broke where the pivot pin was. I asked the guy what happened, he said a 130 putting woman feel on it while carrying it. It was at SPD many, many years ago if I remember correctly.

The only anderson lower I built out went together just as clean as any DD, BCM, or Aero that I have done the same thing to. Just take a few things with you when you go pick out a lower to make sure its all sized correctly and you should be fine. Ill add this.....the only lower I have ever personally used that has been picky about stuff is a DD, and its a tight mag-well.

Now you can get certain features with a lower that not all lowers have. For example, LWRC has and I think Knights does also a fully ambi lower, Noveske has the widest mag-well and a little different angle on in the newest generations, Battle Arms Development has a very very lightweight design, etc. There are certain features you can get if you are in the niche market for them with certain receivers.

I personally, unless is a beater or a range gun, like my lower, upper, barrel, and hand guard to match in brand....because in my world, all things match.

It’s a personal preference. The forged receivers are much stronger, although it’s rare to break a receiver of any kind.
I know you know your stuff. I now have an additional question. Are there different billets? I run ADM’s UIC lower and I thought it was stronger. See below \/

not being argumentative, just inquisitive

American Defense Manufacturing website said:
Machined from a solid 7075-T6 aluminum billet, the UIC billet lower is 40% stronger than a traditional Mil-Spec receiver while only weighing half an ounce more

Back
Top Bottom