• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR lowers, what’s the diff?

Pfoneman

Wolf Icon
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
Ok, been into guns since my Daisy Red Rider. My Uncle owned a Wester Auto in Decatur and on my 16th birthday gave me a Ruger Mini-14 and I was in love. I have 3 at the moment. Mini-14 ranch, Mini-14 Tactical and a Mini-30. About 3 months ago I purchased my first AR. I really have enjoyed it and I’m trying to get as knowledgeable about them as other guns I have. I didn’t put a lot of money into the lower in case I didn’t like the platform. Since I’ve decided I like it I started upgrading the lower parts. It’s an Anderson lower with POF drop in flat trigger. Odin Zulu2 stock and buffer tube. Strike Ind AMBI selector. Magpul BAD lever extended bolt release. 2A Armament Titanium take down pins. Odin extended mag release. Now to my question, my lower is made by Anderson. I here people trashing Anderson on here all the time. If my lower parts are all quality, how does the stripped lower play into the equation? If the basic Anderson lower I have is a POS, why? If I have a quality upper, in my case a complete Troy Ind. How does the lower affect it if it has quality parts installed. If I need to chunk the Anderson, what is a good replacement? These are the questions that keep me up at night. Enquiring minds want to know. Seriously, I little help and direction would be nice. Thanks

If the critical areas on the Anderson lower are machined correctly, it’s in spec overall, and all the parts are assembled correctly, then there is no need to “upgrade” it to something more expensive just to have something more expensive. If it’s built right, the only advantage a more expensive lower receiver will have is a better finish (unless Anderson has changed their finish recently).

I’m not real sure what to look for. The parts I put in to it seem to fit properly and I’ve put about 1500 rounds through it so far without any problems. What are the areas of concern?

Ok, been into guns since my Daisy Red Rider. My Uncle owned a Wester Auto in Decatur and on my 16th birthday gave me a Ruger Mini-14 and I was in love. I have 3 at the moment. Mini-14 ranch, Mini-14 Tactical and a Mini-30. About 3 months ago I purchased my first AR. I really have enjoyed it and I’m trying to get as knowledgeable about them as other guns I have. I didn’t put a lot of money into the lower in case I didn’t like the platform. Since I’ve decided I like it I started upgrading the lower parts. It’s an Anderson lower with POF drop in flat trigger. Odin Zulu2 stock and buffer tube. Strike Ind AMBI selector. Magpul BAD lever extended bolt release. 2A Armament Titanium take down pins. Odin extended mag release. Now to my question, my lower is made by Anderson. I here people trashing Anderson on here all the time. If my lower parts are all quality, how does the stripped lower play into the equation? If the basic Anderson lower I have is a POS, why? If I have a quality upper, in my case a complete Troy Ind. How does the lower affect it if it has quality parts installed. If I need to chunk the Anderson, what is a good replacement? These are the questions that keep me up at night. Enquiring minds want to know. Seriously, I little help and direction would be nice. Thanks
I think it comes down to bragging rights.

A billet lower might have some mystical advantage over non-billet. Some folks like the skull or spyder logo. I like the extra cash in my pocket. I know that apples to apples, my gun will run toe to toe with an extravagantly priced phallic symbol.

I’m not real sure what to look for. The parts I put in to it seem to fit properly and I’ve put about 1500 rounds through it so far without any problems. What are the areas of concern?

If you want to bring it by my place in Dallas GA, I would be happy to check it out thoroughly; both the receiver itself and the assembly. Free of charge.

Y’all are making me feel better any way. I own guns for protection and enjoyment. No safe queens here. Although I own some higher end pistols and bolt guns, it’s due to precision and reliability, not bragging rights which is the reason for my concern. With all that’s going on in the world I don’t want a gun that’s gonna leave me holding nothing but a fancy club.

Anderson’s lowers are fine I have had bushmaster, psa, spikes tactical, and Anderson all three fairly low on the price list and no problems with any. An ar15 is a battle riffle not a show piece fit and finish should not be needed just fit. To my memory there are only 4 or five companies that cast the lowers and uppers all the brands just finish them off. Somebody on here did a grid sheet of who buys from whom. Most enthusiasts can’t tell the difference other than the logo. My opinion trigger and barrel are the most important followed by whatever makes it more comfortable to shoot wether that be a rail or grip whatever will make you enjoy shooting it. Everything else secondary

That is an exceptional offer and I really appreciate it. I’m half a world away from you and with our current work schedule due to the fear of COVID I’m not sure when I could but I really would feel better. Ma Bell has us working 13 on and 1 off since March. With all this working from home people and businesses are doing we’ve been placing and fusing fiber non stop. I’ll PM you tomorrow after I look at our schedule to see what might be convenient for you.

I built a high dollar AR years ago. I just got a PSA built dissy that had an Anderson lower. I just happened to have a PSA lower on hand, so I put it together with a RRA 2 stage trigger and anti rotational pins. I just happened to have all that on hand and I preferred it to be an all PSA rifle, just my ADD I guess. I recently shot the dissy and really liked it. Maybe more so than my YHM build.

Back
Top Bottom