• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar gas issue...i think.

Just as a diagnostic aid, I’ve often used my phone’s slow motion video to get a better idea of exactly what’s happening. It’s been really helpful to see if the rifle is short stroking, or in one case the ejection port / pattern was too small / buggered up.

Take a slo motion movie and scroll through frame by frame.

It’s helped me multiple times. And kept me from changing multiple parts.

Do let us know whatever you find.

Your extractor is bad...either chipped, weak spring, or missing the rubber ring or possibly dirty. But if all the other things were checked as stated in previous post, your extractor is the culprit which would cause your issues. Take your extractor from your good bolt and put in this bolt to see if it eliminates the problem. possible ejector spring is broken. Take a punch and press in on the ejector to make sure it compresses in with a fair amount of resistance.
If you have dummy rounds, load some up and cycle thru the firearm.
Every so often i can get one to eject. I took the extractor off and the spring looks bent but jot broken.
Just as a diagnostic aid, I’ve often used my phone’s slow motion video to get a better idea of exactly what’s happening. It’s been really helpful to see if the rifle is short stroking, or in one case the ejection port / pattern was too small / buggered up.

Take a slo motion movie and scroll through frame by frame.

It’s helped me multiple times. And kept me from changing multiple parts.

Do let us know whatever you find.
Im about ready to throw this BCG in the yard. I removed the extractor and put the spring back on correctly as it looked crooked when i took it off. Now the bolt wont even go back in the carrier. I have a suspicion thaf the bolt is out of spec.

Every so often i can get one to eject. I took the extractor off and the spring looks bent but jot broken.

Im about ready to throw this BCG in the yard. I removed the extractor and put the spring back on correctly as it looked crooked when i took it off. Now the bolt wont even go back in the carrier. I have a suspicion thaf the bolt is out of spec.
Its the spring then...try the extractor from your good bolt and place in this bad bolt...To see if it is

That's apocryphal.
There is some truth and some falseness in the gas rings being staggered. I know some people will get on here and say it has been proven that if the gas rings are not staggered the gun will still cycle and run as it should. That is partial true and partial incorrect. The engineers on this firearm platform designed those rings for a purpose and for that purpose to work, those rings were designed to be staggered so its a good idea to ensure those rings are staggered. Also the rings staggered, aids in overall Gas functioning. HOWEVER, not having those rings staggered will not typically cause you problems during the cycle of operation as a "typical shooter". More likely than not, if problems arise with the gas rings, 99.9% of the time the rings are worn out and need to be replaced it is not because there not staggered. If the rings are fully operational and no replacement is needed, then the rings are very very seldom the problem do to staggering. BUT...the rings being staggered becomes very important (hence the reason military teaches to look for staggered rings) when blank firing. Because you are trying to create a very good seal for the gas to operate the weapon. It also becomes important in the military since, because of the rate of fire that may be used by military. So some truth to the rings and some falseness to the rings. Best thing to do IMO, is to ensure the rings are staggered everytime you reassemble...especially since it is so easy to ensure.

There is some truth and some falseness in the gas rings being staggered. I know some people will get on here and say it has been proven that if the gas rings are not staggered the gun will still cycle and run as it should. That is partial true and partial incorrect. The engineers on this firearm platform designed those rings for a purpose and for that purpose to work, those rings were designed to be staggered so its a good idea to ensure those rings are staggered. Also the rings staggered, aids in overall Gas functioning. HOWEVER, not having those rings staggered will not typically cause you problems during the cycle of operation as a "typical shooter". More likely than not, if problems arise with the gas rings, 99.9% of the time the rings are worn out and need to be replaced it is not because there not staggered. If the rings are fully operational and no replacement is needed, then the rings are very very seldom the problem do to staggering. BUT...the rings being staggered becomes very important (hence the reason military teaches to look for staggered rings) when blank firing. Because you are trying to create a very good seal for the gas to operate the weapon. It also becomes important in the military since, because of the rate of fire that may be used by military. So some truth to the rings and some falseness to the rings. Best thing to do IMO, is to ensure the rings are staggered everytime you reassemble...especially since it is so easy to ensure.

1: The gas rings move, independently of one another, almost every time the gun fires, so the shooter has no control over whether or not they're aligned or staggered. Staggered gas rings can possibly align themselves through fire, and aligned gas rings will most likely stagger themselves through fire.

2: The system, as it is now where sometimes the rings will align themselves through fire, has proven itself to be reliable. If this were a real issue then it would have been addressed long ago.

3: The military will often mandate certain procedure with absolutely no good reason whatsoever, so military procedure does not lend much credence to minute details such as this.

4: If the minute amount of gas lost from these rings being aligned is the difference between whether the firearm cycles or not then the rifle is suffering from a, or many, much larger issue(s).

1: The gas rings move, independently of one another, almost every time the gun fires, so the shooter has no control over whether or not they're aligned or staggered. Staggered gas rings can possibly align themselves through fire, and aligned gas rings will most likely stagger themselves through fire.

2: The system, as it is now where sometimes the rings will align themselves through fire, has proven itself to be reliable. If this were a real issue then it would have been addressed long ago.

3: The military will often mandate certain procedure with absolutely no good reason whatsoever, so military procedure does not lend much credence to minute details such as this.

4: If the minute amount of gas lost from these rings being aligned is the difference between whether the firearm cycles or not then the rifle is suffering from a, or many, much larger issue(s).

Thank you for sharing this...but read the above again...and by all means align your rings or dont align your rings the gun will still go bang.

I suppose the Department of the Army, Department of the Navy, Department of the Airforce, Ruger, Bushmaster, Smith and Wesson are all wrong for stating in their manuals to stagger the rings...What in the heck do their engineers know about proper functioning of their rifles. And the Military Departments only been around for how many years...Geesh...they definitely have no experience with the M4 or variants or M16 or variants best not listen to them

Attachments

• TM.jpg
    TM.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 12
  • TM1.jpg
    TM1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Bushmaster.jpg
    Bushmaster.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210204_144450.jpg
    20210204_144450.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 11
I suppose the Department of the Army, Department of the Navy, Department of the Airforce, Ruger, Bushmaster, Smith and Wesson are all wrong for stating in their manuals to stagger the rings.
Yes.

Again, if this were a real issue that actually existed as a design flaw of the AR15 then it would have been addressed a long time ago. Some high-temperature adhesive would easily fix this supposed flaw; just glue the rings together as they're staggered and they'd never accidentally align ever again. The fact that the AR15 is as reliable as it is despite the fact that these rings will sometimes align on their own proves that it's not an issue. You can align these rings on your own rifle to test and see if it causes a malfunction; spoiler, it wont.

Back
Top Bottom