• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 AR Pistol

JPH1911

Navy Icon Supporter
USNavy
78   0
Reaction score
I have noticed the listings for an AR Pistol is up. Way Up! I would not be too concerned. The point system determining if it is a Pistol or SBR isn't in effect for another few months and no one knows if it will go into effect.

ATF has no proof of the ownership of an AR Pistol. Remember, boating accidents happens a lot and when it does personal belongings, such as firearms, do sink to the bottom of lakes and bodies of water.

So, assuming they are deemed illegal (which is crap, but...) what are you going to do with it? Aside from shooting on private property? You cant take it to the range, and I wouldn't want it in my car in case I got in a wreck, or needed medical assistance. You cant use it for home defense, cause the police are going to want to know what you used to defend yourself.

You could always swap out the barrel, or add a shroud to an AR pistol, but what about an AK pistol? Pretty hard to swap out barrels on an AK.

The AK pistols will have a better chance with the points system. Reason being is that it does not have a buffer tube. So, whatever brace you install on an AK pistol would be a fixed brace. Length of pull on the AK pistol will never be an issue because the measurement is from the trigger to the end of the firearm which includes the buffer tube. On an AK the rear sight is a fixed sight so no points. You can add a Red Dot to the AK and if that is the only accessory being added you will be below the points system.

If the points system does come into effect I will change out the barrel to my AR Pistol to a 16 inch barrel. And you can always put a 16 inch barrel upper to a AR Pistol lower without submitting paperwork. My pistol barrel will be well hid...just in case the ATF decides to change the ruling on AR Pistols in the future.

So, assuming they are deemed illegal (which is crap, but...) what are you going to do with it? Aside from shooting on private property? You cant take it to the range, and I wouldn't want it in my car in case I got in a wreck, or needed medical assistance. You cant use it for home defense, cause the police are going to want to know what you used to defend yourself.

You could always swap out the barrel, or add a shroud to an AR pistol, but what about an AK pistol? Pretty hard to swap out barrels on an AK.
Not an AK owner, so… I’m considering the new upper and a regular stock if the ATFrs make me a felon…

I am neither scholar, nor attorney...but from reading the alphabet worksheet, the preface seems to indicate that the whole thing is to determine whether a brace (with accessory configuration) gains enough points to say that it is intended to be fired from the shoulder, and the first option for remedy if one's particular weapon fails..... is to permanently remove the brace.

Hence my question... if there's no brace, there's no reclassification?

Back
Top Bottom