• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Appliance/Refrigeration Techs…

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Ive got a fridge that the coils keep freezing up on. Condenser is clean. Fans are working. I installed a bullet valve to get a suction reading which is 0 while running. Entire line set coming from the inside coil is frosted over. Is that normal for a fridge/freezer combo? Im pretty sure defroster is working but I dont have a good way to verify with this one. Inside coil is visibly freezing up after about a month. I through a very small amount of gas in it and got the low side up to about 4 psi. Fridge is almost 20 years old so I cant hurt it.

Also, at what point is the low side supposed to read 103psi? Is that a static charge rating only?
IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg

Too much pressure drop it down to 2psi. If you slowly lower the pressure you should see the ice melt.
those are system test pressures your looking at.
when you charged the system hopeful you bled down the charge line as not to introduce any out side air, this would cause the capillaries to freeze up. Last but not least that bullet valve will leak better option would to braze a valve onto that line.
oh yea I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

No non condensables were introduced.

Really considering just recovering and charging to spec.

Ive used bullets in the past with good success. And its my only option since I dont have a torch set. This is a hale mary for this old fridge so Im not worried about it. I did leak check it last night and it passed.

Back
Top Bottom