• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For AC techs: Daughter moved into a duplex and 3 days later AC unit outside quit running. 4yr old Carrier unit

On most older A/C units you are correct that the fan and compressor would continue to run even if the unit was out of refrigerant. On many newer units a low pressure switch is used and that switch when open will keep the compressor and fan outdoors from running. But still, the fix is not a part usually. If there is a leak it needs to be repaired. Sometimes parts do develop leaks and the fix is to replace the part, like a reversing valve on a heat pump. And. nothing at all unusual about a 4 year old system having a failure. I always recommend the simplest builder grade system available. Carrier, Trane,Lenox are loaded up with unnecessary crap that cause more system failures. Kinda like all new Ford's, Dodge's and Chevy's. Buy Toyota.

The outside unit quit running. Fan does not move and the compressor does not come on. Inside unit fan blows air and thermostat has power. 3amp fuse to inside unit is good. 250V to the disconnect outside.

Landlord sent over this service company I wouldn't let fix my toilet but thats who they've contracted through to make repairs. This company shows up today and tells my daughter the freon has leaked out of this 4yr old unit and that's the problem. He claims to have ordered a part which won't get here until Tuesday. My fear is that the part gets here and won't fix the problem so they will not have AC again.

My questions:
The outside unit fan isn't running and neither is the compressor. regardless whether there is freon or not these should run. I think its a bad contactor or capacitor.
Alright my friend...
First - If a system leaks out all freon, there ain't no part to be ordered, BUT repair the leak and refill with freon. Unless the leak is in the coil or at the AC-coil, then it needs to be replaced. All newer AC or Heat Pumps have high/low pressure switch lockout. If freon gets to a low level that would damage compressor, the unit shuts off in low pressure lock-out.

4 Years Old AC - Some of them come with leak from the manufacture; yeah, they do!!

What is exactly the system in the house, is it an AC / furnace system, or an Air handler/Heat pump system?

Capacitor - Before changing should be tested to make sure it is bad.

Worst Case - Lighting kills many AC system and furnaces.

Alright my friend...
First - If a system leaks out all freon, there ain't no part to be ordered, BUT repair the leak and refill with freon. Unless the leak is in the coil or at the AC-coil, then it needs to be replaced. All newer AC or Heat Pumps have high/low pressure switch lockout. If freon gets to a low level that would damage compressor, the unit shuts off in low pressure lock-out.

4 Years Old AC - Some of them come with leak from the manufacture; yeah, they do!!

What is exactly the system in the house, is it an AC / furnace system, or an Air handler/Heat pump system?

Hello OTT Air handler and heat pump system. Inside system runs fine.

Hello OTT Air handler and heat pump system. Inside system runs fine.
Heat Pumps can shut down for any little thing on their way that will cause either low pressure or high pressure lock-out:
  • Bad Filter (it would freeze the lines first)
  • Duct/flex crushed.
  • Bad TXV Valve
  • Bad Reverse Valve
  • Bad low/high pressure valve
  • Bad Capacitor
  • Fried/dead compressor (God forbid!)
  • and many more...
Maybe the Maintenace guy (as you pointed out that can't trust him ... lol) maybe he screwed up on wintertime, and add too much freon into it, and system is in high-pressure lock-out now!

Ask the landlord to send a real HVAC company, brother man!!!

If there is a low pressure switch on the unit ,it could be out of freon.
it 's terrible that we live in a world that we trust nothing anyone says.
I know, so many people have been shafted by uncruptulous contractors.
i am one those that trust very few people.

I always keep a spare starting capacitor.
After paying a $189.00 service call in 2010 and watching the tech swap out the capacitor ONLY, I ordered a box of them and started doing it myself (thankfully it's been only once or twice in the past 14 years).

After paying a $189.00 service call in 2010 and watching the tech swap out the capacitor ONLY, I ordered a box of them and started doing it myself (thankfully it's been only once or twice in the past 14 years).
I feel offended ... lol :behindsofa::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

Alright my friend...

Alright my friend...

But at 4 yrs old it should be under warranty

Odd that they say the freon leaked out and they just need to order a part to repair. Should have to repair the leak and recharge system. Sounds more like a capacitor or possibly a contactor.

Back
Top Bottom