• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anywhere in North metro area that still turns rotors?

I need to start advertising that Ill turn rotors. Ain't nothing to it, took me about 10 minutes a rotor.

Not really but if nobody does it. I'm sure there is a market for it. Like for classic cars and whatnot. I did mine because they'd have to be ordered from Japan and they were 139 before shipping. Shipping is about $75, so I just decided to learn about turning rotors.

Some folks will pay extra for "lighting" and balancing. Which really amounts to drilling holes or milling slots and making sure it's still balanced afterwards.

Some folks will pay extra for "lighting" and balancing. Which really amounts to drilling holes or milling slots and making sure it's still balanced afterwards.
That doesnt sound difficult on the surface. Just removing the same material in equilibrium but I ain't a rotor expert.

Really though, slotting a disk that is balanced would not be hard. I'm look into it. I made some parts for a race car garage recently and saw what they sold for. I was thinking "I should do custom car stuff" but car guys are fruitier than gun guys

That doesnt sound difficult on the surface. Just removing the same material in equilibrium but I ain't a rotor expert.

Really though, slotting a disk that is balanced would not be hard. I'm look into it. I made some parts for a race car garage recently and saw what they sold for. I was thinking "I should do custom car stuff" but car guys are fruitier than gun guys

I think the specialty rotors from bikes, side by sides, etc without a center would be the most difficult; but once you have a jig worked up it's just rinse and repeat.

I have a brake lathe that will do up to 16 inch rotors, with all the tooling. I quit turning rotors when I closed my NAPA stores back in 2009. I need to sell a bunch of shop equipment, if anyone is interested in that equipment

I need to start advertising that Ill turn rotors. Ain't nothing to it, took me about 10 minutes a rotor.

Not really but if nobody does it. I'm sure there is a market for it. Like for classic cars and whatnot. I did mine because they'd have to be ordered from Japan and they were 139 before shipping. Shipping is about $75, so I just decided to learn about turning rotors.

I was looking at $100 or so a piece for new rotors for mine. I ain't that good at math but $30 vs $200 sounded like a win to me.

For those who aren't in the know, .010 is pretty **** for machine work
could be good, could be bad. It depends on how the runout is measured.

Is that runout on the mounted on the spindle of the car? If so, about the only way to get it any better is to machine it on the car. IIRC, most of the majors spec a .006 runout mounted, and about the only way to achieve that spec is to mount and torque the rotor on the spindle and machine it in place.

When you put a rotor on an arbor on a lathe, you are machining the faces to run with the bearing races, and there is no torque on the mounting bolt. When you then place that rotor on the car, torque the lugs and read the runout, it is real easy to exceed the .006 spec

For those who aren't in the know, .010 is pretty **** for machine work
Not sure if you are saying it was good or bad. All I know is there was .002 runout when I gave them the rotors. I checked them before disassembly. Just needed the gouges removed from previous pads. Sucked it up and bought new rotors today. I try to give local guys a chance at my business but they run me off just about every time with their lack of know how.

Back
Top Bottom