• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone who started on a 600 or 6R bike?

You will break the bike before the bike fails you. The bank fully cares about the insurance because it will be used.

Yeah thats what I thought. Just checking with people who were more fluent in the financing thing. I knew they required insurance but extended warranty was a new one to me. Why can't they just be honest? LOL

Yeah thats what I thought. Just checking with people who were more fluent in the financing thing. I knew they required insurance but extended warranty was a new one to me. Why can't they just be honest? LOL

Salesmen and finance people lie for a living... They do not SELL (verb) motorcycles... You came there to buy a motorcycle. Their job is to screw you out of as much money as possible.

I started with a Ninja 600R for a year, then cbr f4i and a bunch after that.

My best advice? Buy used! You can flip them after a year of riding for the same price you paid for it.

Just read your update. They are full of **** requiring the extra warranty! Go somewhere else where they don't lie to you. Also, the Frame Sliders do not protect the fairings, they protect the frame and stop the bike from catching and flipping if you lay it down. If you don't believe me simply hold up a straight edge on a bike with Sliders and pretend it's laying down.

Last edited:
My first bike was a Suzuki DR100 when I was 12, then a Honda Hawk GT650 when I was 20 years old. Hadn't had one for 20 years and then got a Victory V92c...1507cc!

Who is the dealer? If you want a suzuki call riders hill in dahlonega and ask for david. He is a straight shooter and will treat you right. Whoever told you they need the extended warranty and maintenance for the financing was lying to your face. I worked in the industry for a long time and NEVER heard that. Full coverage insurance usually but that's it.

The reason you buy used is because of depreciation and the fact that you will more than likely drop the bike, hopefully at low speed. A plastic sport bike will cost a few thousand dollars to fix from tipping over in the parking lot. You won't want to claim it on your insurance because then your rates will skyrocket. So it'll cost you a small fortune out of pocket. As others said, frame sliders were designed for racing and allow you to continue to ride home or in another race. None are designed to keep bodywork off pavement. It May save major damage but price the lower, side and upper fairing and the engine side case to see how much a tip over will cost even with frame sliders. Maybe exhaust, tail section and mirrors and turn signals. It all adds up.

Yep a minor tip can cost about $1500 in parts.

Your best bet would be to find a cheap used bike. You can get a nice rocket with minor scratches for around $2500-4000. I sold my mint 01 GSXR 1000 with 20,000 on it two yrs ago for only 2700. Deals are out there.

Also if cash on hand is low and you really need to finance be careful of the 0% financing. It may have stipulations such as 0% for 36 months on a 72 months term. If not paid in full within 36 months all interest from the first 36 months is added back onto the loan.

Even a loan from your bank is usually better then the dealer 0% sales

One thing that I've noticed when these threads pop up, is that most of the guys who try to persuade the OP to get something bigger than a 600, all ride cruisers. They look at engine size and think that because a bike that has 1/3 of the CC's that their bikes have, they will be slower. What people don't take into account is what kind of bike you are looking at. A 600cc sport bike will easily double the posted speed limits on the Interstate. A bike that will run 150+mph is not a beginner bike. I say this because no one that has a sport bike, can honestly say that they haven't tested it out. Why else would you want a sport bike? A 650cc dual sport bike is a different story. For one, it has 3 less cylinders than most sport bikes, therefor making far less power. They will top out around 100mph, I've done the ton on a DRZ400s (GPS Verified).

Get a bike based on insurance, riding abilities, maintenance, and what type of riding you want to do. Don't buy new, because you will drop it. Don't try to go big to early, they make bikes everyday. I've had close to 40 bikes, and luckily I started out on dirt bikes and dual sports. If I would've jumped on a 1000cc inline four right off the bat, I would've killed myself or seriously messed myself up. I've had everything from 200cc single cylinder dirt bikes up to 1000cc Vtwins and inline four sport bikes. I now ride a 60 hp parallel twin Triumph, which is probably the most fun bike that I've owned.

Ride your ride, as safely as you can. Remember, you're the one paying for it.

Edit* Just read where you were looking at buying a new GSXR600. Don't buy anything extra with the bike, including any type of warranty or maintenance plan. If you're just now learning to ride a bike, I hate to say it but you'll probably end up totaling out the bike way before it's paid off. There's a reason that insurance companies like to charge upwards of $3k+ a year for insurance on sport bikes. If you drop it, that plastic is going to cost you to replace. You bust up the plastic on one and turn it in to your insurance company, there's a good chance they're going to total it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom