• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone REALLY build guns?

trident3339

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Patriot
108   0
Reaction score
I'm not talking about ar15s. I'd like to build a kp44 or sten from a demilled kit, I've never tried it before, aside from the welding I'm pretty confident I could do it. It would be nice to have some guys with experience to pester with questions though.

I built a Sten mk3 rifle. Parts kit from Apex, tube and semi auto parts from Indianapolis Ordance. It cost me more than I expected, but not everyone has a Sten. :)

The Demill was pretty involved, lots of cutting, grinding, etc... the welding of the magwell was probably the hardest part, it has to be perfect. Cutting the receiver was not too bad, as it had a template glued on, but pretty easy to accidentally overgrind/cut. I did lots of mocking together for test fits before the final assembly/welding. Getting the selector switch to act as a safety was tedious. Took lots of minor fitting and grinding. Easy to mess up a cut and have no safety at all. The rivets were super easy, loved it. The barrel has to be soldered in at the end of the "handguard". I was careful not to torch the barrel too hot, but the solder worked well.

I am not a great welder, I normally finish by welds by saying (that's good enough, time to grind away the extra). Haha. But I have only welded with MIG flux core, never invested in the better setup.

upload_2020-3-29_10-6-53.png

upload_2020-3-29_10-7-25.png

Back
Top Bottom