• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Tesla or Electric car owners here?

The charging network is growing by the day. There are apps plus the Tesla itself that help you plan a roadtrip by mapping charge points along your route. The charge stations are popping up in parking lots all over the place.
Which brings me to a second question....do you pay for the charging stations? One just popped up in our neighborhood grocery lot. I see Tesla's there all the time with people just sitting in their cars, plugged up. Do you pay for the power, similar to gas? Or do you just plug it in and charge?

Depends on the make's battery tech and the charger. Tesla's "supercharger" can purportedly give you 200 miles of range in just 15 minutes. that's pretty impressive.
Oh wow....if that's the case then it would seem to be a simple matter of crossing the country. 15 minutes is about what it takes to stop and fill up my gas tank. I was thinking it was an overnight kind of proposition.

I used to point and laugh at the tree huggers who bought electric vehicles because of the entire supply chain aspect.

However, I'm thinking one day I may own one. No trips to the gas station. No oil changes. No spark plug changes. Low cost of ownership overall and the simplicity of the motors over an internal combustion engine.

And the performance can be pretty outrageous.

And just last weekend we were at Tractor Supply up around Buford and there were charging stations around there! Zoinks!

Type in a search for "fast charge station map" - you would be amazed. All you would have to do is pay a little more due diligence to your road trip plans.

Which brings me to a second question....do you pay for the charging stations? One just popped up in our neighborhood grocery lot. I see Tesla's there all the time with people just sitting in their cars, plugged up. Do you pay for the power, similar to gas? Or do you just plug it in and charge?

Overnight charging is probably better for long term battery life, but most require a 220v outlet and charger be installed at home. Not a big investment relatively speaking. Yes, you do pay at these stations but many EVs come with 1-2 years of “free” charging as an incentive.

I don't pay for lektricity, I just tie a key to a kite tail and fly it over my car:doh:... Free level 2 (you need level 3 for cross country) charging at most hospitals but limited to 4 hours. I charge mine for free every day at work. No battery will "fast charge" past 80% full, overcharging kills the batteries so the computers won't allow it. Battery life is getting longer with shorter charging times every month.
ykwhmv
your kilowatt hours may vary :)

How long do they take to charge?

Level two chargers typically charge 25 miles per hour, level 1 (standard cord) 6-8 per hour. A level 2 (30 Amp breaker i.e. clothes dryer) charger costs about $1,000 with installation. I get 100 + miles on $2 worth of electricity. When Biden gas goes to $5 a gallon I'm gonna corner the Uber/Lyft market.:)

They even have cordless chargers you just park over, but those cost Nonliberal Nonliberal $'s. :)

If I still commuted daily I would have a Tesla.

Overnight charging is dirt cheap with most utilities (GA Power has a special EV rate that's almost free) and with the latest SuperChargers long road trips aren't much different than with a gas car.

Of course the old ones and non-Tesla chargers are still way slower, but half of what you pay for in the Teslas is the range and charging technology.

Back
Top Bottom