• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Tesla or Electric car owners here?

Oh wow....if that's the case then it would seem to be a simple matter of crossing the country. 15 minutes is about what it takes to stop and fill up my gas tank. I was thinking it was an overnight kind of proposition.

Romi,
My boss has a Tesla X, I've driven his. The acceleration is amazing. The handsfree thing takes some getting used to but its also impressive. The car has an App and it shows you all the fast chargers are on your route, so you can stop and get juice along the way. He commuted from NH to Boston and had to stop on his way home for about 30mins to charge up the battery.

Electric batteries work like pouring water into a glass, you can pour about 75% of it really fast, and when you get to the top you have to slow down. He could get a lot of power in 15-30 minutes, but the last 25% took a while. That's great if you have access to a super charger, or have a 220v plug in your house. If you try and charge it from 110, its takes days to charge. He got the unlimited super charger option when these first came out. I dont think Tesla still offers that as an option, so you pay by the minute. You can get accounts for other chargers, which are showing up at hotels, airports and malls.
I think you would be unhappy with an electric car for long trips, stopping to get a charge seems like a pain in the ass to me. If you are using it to commute it makes more sense.

So I took a Model 70 Tesla to Mobile about 2 years back.

House 220 charger- overnight full charge if 100 plus miles left on battery when plugged in.

Supercharger at Atlantic Station- 35 mins to full charge with 50 plus miles showing when plugged in.

Supercharger in Birmingham- right at an hour with 70 plus miles showing

Supercharger in Greenville- 1 hour 10 mins with about 70 miles showing

Supercharger in Mobile- 1 hour with the range at 40 miles. This one is at the back of an abandoned mall, no lights at night, seemed rough area.

Added about 3 hours to my usual trip time. The range anxiety struggle is real........

Another question for the all electric crowd-

What about all those folks in apartments? Going to run a charging station to every parking space?

My house has 2 cars in the garage, 2 outside. Where to charge?

Another question for the all electric crowd-

What about all those folks in apartments? Going to run a charging station to every parking space?

My house has 2 cars in the garage, 2 outside. Where to charge?

I would guess the apartment crowd stops at super chargers on their way to work, or parks it in a garage at work with a charger. If I had an electric car, I would wire up a 220v 30amp outlet in the garage. No way you could charge it fast enough off a 110 15v outlet.

So I took a Model 70 Tesla to Mobile about 2 years back.

House 220 charger- overnight full charge if 100 plus miles left on battery when plugged in.

Supercharger at Atlantic Station- 35 mins to full charge with 50 plus miles showing when plugged in.

Supercharger in Birmingham- right at an hour with 70 plus miles showing

Supercharger in Greenville- 1 hour 10 mins with about 70 miles showing

Supercharger in Mobile- 1 hour with the range at 40 miles. This one is at the back of an abandoned mall, no lights at night, seemed rough area.

Added about 3 hours to my usual trip time. The range anxiety struggle is real........

What is a 'model 70'?

Tesla makes a Model S, Y, X and 3. They had the Roadster but discontinued it.

Atlanta to Mobile shows as around 300 miles, so assuming you had an X or S (the 3's were just coming out then) that sounds about right.

I would guess the apartment crowd stops at super chargers on their way to work, or parks it in a garage at work with a charger. If I had an electric car, I would wire up a 220v 30amp outlet in the garage. No way you could charge it fast enough off a 110 15v outlet.

rOmiLaYu rOmiLaYu Driving an electric or plug in hybrid is a computer nerds heaven... we get to calculate gas mileage, electricity mileage, battery drain differences at different speeds and temperatures, math. on every drive if you want it. Of course the computer does it all for you too, my navigation system actually puts a circle around your range if you want to believe it is smarter than you... I'm smarter than my computer.:)

We were camping at Steven Foster in the Okefenokee and the guy across from us had a Tesla plugged into the RV outlet with a kayak on the roof. Noticed he had a Fulton tag and asked him about the car, charging, etc. He said he stops in Tifton at a supercharging station on his way down and eats at the Longhorn that is right in front of it. Finishes the trip with room to spare, camps, kayaks for a day or two, then heads back to Atlanta with a stop over at the same Longhorns for lunch and a charge. Was no real different from my trip, and I usually burn $80 in gas in the 4Runner.

What is a 'model 70'?

Tesla makes a Model S, Y, X and 3. They had the Roadster but discontinued it.

Atlanta to Mobile shows as around 300 miles, so assuming you had an X or S (the 3's were just coming out then) that sounds about right.

spencer60 spencer60 he is talking about the battery size. Tesla has bunch of different batteries several different ranges so he was probably driving a model S 70kwh battery.

Back
Top Bottom