• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Tesla or Electric car owners here?

If I still commuted daily I would have a Tesla.

Overnight charging is dirt cheap with most utilities (GA Power has a special EV rate that's almost free) and with the latest SuperChargers long road trips aren't much different than with a gas car.

Of course the old ones and non-Tesla chargers are still way slower, but half of what you pay for in the Teslas is the range and charging technology.

Great point, and Teslas & BMWs are programmable for charging only during non peak hours. Of course they stop charging when full, that last 5% is SLOW, but like your gas Guage the power level takes awhile to come off 100%. The nicer home chargers are programmable as well.

If you drive I-85, the Peachpass lane is free for electric vehicles.

The 220V charger we have at the house was $600 but we bought that many years ago. Quick scan through Amazon and looks like they might be half that now.

You just have to figure out if it's right for you. We did the math with my wife's commute and it was the easiest purchase decision ever for us. If you're worried about road trips, just rent a car for them. We bought a an old minivan as a 3rd vehicle and we're still money ahead.

Level two chargers typically charge 25 miles per hour, level 1 (standard cord) 6-8 per hour. A level 2 (30 Amp breaker i.e. clothes dryer) charger costs about $1,000 with installation. I get 100 + miles on $2 worth of electricity. When Biden gas goes to $5 a gallon I'm gonna corner the Uber/Lyft market.:)

They even have cordless chargers you just park over, but those cost Nonliberal Nonliberal $'s. :)
I didnt get a tag notification for this.
However, ole Nonlib is low on dollars. Severely invested in futures right now.
One of my business partners put his down payment on one of them new Tesla trucks coming out. Says it supposed to have wicked horsepower and an 800 mile range. I guess we'll see. I'll drive it to a m&g if they ever release them.

Range extender all you need

upload_2021-2-16_23-40-30.jpeg

If you are going to drive it til it dies get a Leaf Plus model. They are very hard to beat for the price. I bought one in December and it gets 224 miles per charge with nothing on. The Leaf Plus model is quick off the line 6.5 sec, 0-60 on my S2000 is about the same with the mileage on her so its pretty quick. So charging wise my car before the 220v 40amp charger it took 22 hour to charge at 110v 15amp from 10% to 80%, but on my 220v charger it take about 9 hrs or less based on temp outside and if the battery heater is on. My car is not the cross country type as it has the 60kwh battery which is the largest battery Nissan currently makes and that is the smallest of the Tesla's battery size. The numbers on the back of the Tesla car gives you the size of the battery. The miles that a battery can add at a Tesla Supercharger is based on the battery size, all the quick chargers slow down at 70% to 80% based on battery temp and a few other factors. Most Tesla models and other EV are quicker than my car, but not too many other EV have the $7500 federal tax credit any more like the Nissan Leaf. My car stickered for $42k and after the incentives and tax credit the car cost $24k. That is why I bought mine and gas is going up already wait til the planes start flying again. I charged my car today traveled about 100 miles going to the bank and meeting a fellow ODTer today for a sale and a trade and it cost me $1.88 to fill her up at home. If you charge at a fast charger then you will be paying the same amount a current gas prices per mile. In GA you will pay $0.16 to $0.32 a min on fast chargers and if you leave your car on the charger and it is not charging after a grace period (5 to 10 min) they will charge you $0.40 a min til you come and get your car off the charger. There are chargers at a lot of hotels around the interstate now and a lot of the Walmarts close to the interstates have the fast chargers on the property so you can charge and while shopping at Walmart. Here are some charge companies to look at to get prices and locations of chargers EVgo, ChargePoint, and Electify America, download their app and they will give you locations of their chargers and rates.

PS... I just wanted to say that I did not buy this car to because I am a closet Lefty, I bought it cause gas will be $3 to $4 sooner than you think and the $0.30 to $0.40 gas tax we pay is ridiculous and the quickness in a straight line is awesome, handles like a 2 ton brick around corners though not too sporty. Also if you see a Leaf that is passing you that would be me on the roads not like those other LEAF ID10Ts out there driving 55 in the left lane.

If you are going to drive it til it dies get a Leaf Plus model. They are very hard to beat for the price. I bought one in December and it gets 224 miles per charge with nothing on. The Leaf Plus model is quick off the line 6.5 sec, 0-60 on my S2000 is about the same with the mileage on her so its pretty quick. So charging wise my car before the 220v 40amp charger it took 22 hour to charge at 110v 15amp from 10% to 80%, but on my 220v charger it take about 9 hrs or less based on temp outside and if the battery heater is on. My car is not the cross country type as it has the 60kwh battery which is the largest battery Nissan currently makes and that is the smallest of the Tesla's battery size. The numbers on the back of the Tesla car gives you the size of the battery. The miles that a battery can add at a Tesla Supercharger is based on the battery size, all the quick chargers slow down at 70% to 80% based on battery temp and a few other factors. Most Tesla models and other EV are quicker than my car, but not too many other EV have the $7500 federal tax credit any more like the Nissan Leaf. My car stickered for $42k and after the incentives and tax credit the car cost $24k. That is why I bought mine and gas is going up already wait til the planes start flying again. I charged my car today traveled about 100 miles going to the bank and meeting a fellow ODTer today for a sale and a trade and it cost me $1.88 to fill her up at home. If you charge at a fast charger then you will be paying the same amount a current gas prices per mile. In GA you will pay $0.16 to $0.32 a min on fast chargers and if you leave your car on the charger and it is not charging after a grace period (5 to 10 min) they will charge you $0.40 a min til you come and get your car off the charger. There are chargers at a lot of hotels around the interstate now and a lot of the Walmarts close to the interstates have the fast chargers on the property so you can charge and while shopping at Walmart. Here are some charge companies to look at to get prices and locations of chargers EVgo, ChargePoint, and Electify America, download their app and they will give you locations of their chargers and rates.

PS... I just wanted to say that I did not buy this car to because I am a closet Lefty, I bought it cause gas will be $3 to $4 sooner than you think and the $0.30 to $0.40 gas tax we pay is ridiculous and the quickness in a straight line is awesome, handles like a 2 ton brick around corners though not too sporty. Also if you see a Leaf that is passing you that would be me on the roads not like those other LEAF ID10Ts out there driving 55 in the left lane.

Isn't Nissan circling the drain? I thought they were struggling in the market and about to bleed out. Maybe their Electric division is the bright spot.

Isn't Nissan circling the drain? I thought they were struggling in the market and about to bleed out. Maybe their Electric division is the bright spot.

Leaf was the best option when we bought ours a few years ago. I've heard they've been outpaced by the competition since then though. The tech literally changes/improves every year.

The charging network is growing by the day. There are apps plus the Tesla itself that help you plan a roadtrip by mapping charge points along your route. The charge stations are popping up in parking lots all over the place.
The charging network is being funded or at least subsidized by the productive citizens.

Back
Top Bottom