• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any other Xterra guys on here?? Body Lift Time

We all need to take our toys out on the trails. Beasley knob maybe. I would be game if anyone else wants to be part of a group.

image.jpg
Ouch, my Sammy will not make it that far under its own power but, my jeep can pull it close to there. There's got to be an off road area somewhere in between.

Nice.

So took a trip to the ATL area. Sold one gun, and picked up the set of rims that I have been hunting for. Now just need to remove the old tires, get them coated in flat black, and save for the 285/75/16's.

i59.tinypic.com_oiev5c.jpg

I'm very interested in this thread. My girl has a 05 xterra off road edition. I love how it's got the selectable rear locker. Its pretty capable from what I've experience. It's only down fall is ground clearance but it's still stock. She wants to put some 285/75 tires on it. I'm told there they will probably not fit without a small lift. I'm looking at the daystar lift b/c it's a know company and easy to install and cheap.
will the tires fit after this? what do you guys think about this small lift? I told her if it were up to me I'd cut the ifs out and put a full width under it but she was not on board for that. If need by i'll put a 1inch body lift on it too but if I can get away without using the bl I will.
and take this for what it's worth, I just took off her mud flaps (they were falling off anyways) and it looks much better. I'd loose the step bars too. if you do any wheeling where they are any big rocks, they will get ripped off anyways. removing them will make it look better too imo.
Thanks and good looking xterras guys.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/2-Inch-Suspension-Lift-Kit.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=3533&t_pn=daykn09105bk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxZieBRDegZuj9rzLt_ABEiQASqRd-j0_gEJD3LELyGMlO0C6n5aisIUl5NjHQTfZmbGQnP0aAtFj8P8HAQ

Last edited:
The first thing I would do if I were you is have her do the radiator bypass and a transmission flush to check for the SMOD. Where the radiator fluid leaks into the trans lines. If not caught it will destroy the tranny, and its a good 5,000 dollars to fix. I went ahead and did the bypass and then installed an extra trans cooler behind the stock one to increase cooling capacity.

A couple other things.

1. From the research that I have done, theoretically she could fit the 285/75's with nothing more that the melt mod. Depending on the offset of her rims.

2. That Daystar lift looks to be a good lift kit. I put the AC 2" BL kit on first, and will be going with the PRG spacer/AAL kit, along with the shackle replacements. I know that the BL's will definitely give you more room for tire, haven't really looked to see if the SL's will have the same effect. If you do do a body lift, if the instructions tell you to separate the lower steering "rod" from the rack, DO NOT do it!!! It isn't necessary, but if you turn the steering wheel with it detached you will break the clock spring in the steering wheel and lose all controls on the steering wheel. To fix it is a 260 dollar part, plus labor. Or the dealership will do it for around 1300 dollars. Ask me how I know.

I do plan on taking off the flaps and stock bars, just haven't gotten around to it. I'm going to be picking up a welder to fab up my own sliders, rear bumper and roof rack.

Back
Top Bottom