• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any of y’all been your own GC on your house build?

We hired a GC for our addition .

And we couldn’t find any GC that would do a firm price .
It was all time and materials .

And I’m so , well I don’t know what to feel.
It took 11 months just to get the damn place just dried in .

One of my neighbors just started an addition and in less than 6 weeks they have Sheetrock hung inside .
They will be finished before me and we started two years sooner .

Took us 18 weeks to get concrete poured after the footings got dug,

There was a six week waiting list for concrete and if it rained on your appointment day and the concrete guys couldn’t pour , you’re back to the bottom of the Six week waiting list .
And that happend three times in a row

Ours was a weird shape , a shallow V shape , had to be that way to fit on the lot .
The roof truss company didn’t want to measure for the trusses until the walls were up since it was a funky shape ,
So thats another six or eight week delay to get the trusses built .

Then a couple days before the roof trusses were being delivered the truss factory caught on fire .
So another six or eight weeks delay .

Then when the trusses were ready again we had to co ordinate the truss install with the crane company , the framers installing the trusses and with Georgia power because the crane company didn’t like the power line and demanded it be dropped while they were using the crane .
Guess what , if it rains on that day , which it did , then you gotta call it off and start all over again with Georgia power and the framers and the crane company to pick a day when they were all available the same day .

We are having to finish the inside and build the deck etc because the Covid lumber prices tripling blew our budget out of the water .

• Wow
Reactions: GFB
I know a person who did this its everyday and a lot of work. Last numbers I got on pricing was 160/sq foot for basic build (not including land etc) from a local guy I have known for 25 years.

Costs are out of control.

Any reason you are moving?

If you downsize you can come out a little ahead I think.

Good luck sir!

Not the best idea to go at it alone for an addition or remodel. If you need only flooring , or only cabinets, etc, one or two trades is fine.
My family and myself are fourth generation contractors and realtors. As far as honesty goes, since so many people have had bad experiences with contractors, most likely due to budget shopping for the rock bottom price, we do everything as transparently as possible and walk you through every single step of the way. We are % over cost and work with the client on every aspect of the project. We even have the client cut payment to our Subs direct without going through us to disburse. We are paid at the end after completion and inspections.

They pick out exactly what design and style and know exactly what they are getting. No padding margins of any kind.
Everything is outlined and documented upfront and we work down from there, most of the time, coming in under budget.
As someone else said, timing is key. One small aspect of the project not lining up will throw the whole project into a standstill , which is what we keep from happening.

I know I’ve oversimplified this and my response may sound vague, but I could type all afternoon in detail otherwise.

I'm sitting in a house I bought for $155k in 1999. It's now "worth" $405K based on several online sites. The one across from me has sold twice over the last few years for $485K and recently for $450K. These are 2200 - 2600 sq ft homes on an acre or so in Cherokee Co. For folks like you and me it's a great position to be in. Until you want to try and buy another house. I have a ton of equity in this market. But, I burn all that up and essentially just trade it in if I go buy another new, inflated house (plus the current interest rates eat in to that). At some point supply has to catch up, and will prob exceed demand until rates and inflation drops. I can't imagine first time home buyers are buying in this market. I also cant imagine many first time buyers are scrapping up the down payment and then qualifying for a loan at these prices and in this market. I remember the 2009 market. I doubt it will be that severe but it has to correct itself. You are in real estate. Who is buying houses these days? Is it starter homes or existing home owners looking to move up and out? Mine will be more of a down size event - if and when it happens as kids move out.
In Cherokee too in a nice community neighborhood. House is probably close to 1 million dollars now but like you said, interest rates will never be what my mother in law has now plus in order to get the size we need, like 1.8 million, ridiculous

I'm sitting in a house I bought for $155k in 1999. It's now "worth" $405K based on several online sites. The one across from me has sold twice over the last few years for $485K and recently for $450K. These are 2200 - 2600 sq ft homes on an acre or so in Cherokee Co. For folks like you and me it's a great position to be in. Until you want to try and buy another house. I have a ton of equity in this market. But, I burn all that up and essentially just trade it in if I go buy another new, inflated house (plus the current interest rates eat in to that). At some point supply has to catch up, and will prob exceed demand until rates and inflation drops. I can't imagine first time home buyers are buying in this market. I also cant imagine many first time buyers are scrapping up the down payment and then qualifying for a loan at these prices and in this market. I remember the 2009 market. I doubt it will be that severe but it has to correct itself. You are in real estate. Who is buying houses these days? Is it starter homes or existing home owners looking to move up and out? Mine will be more of a down size event - if and when it happens as kids move out.
First time home buyers loan is 3% down

That means you gotta pay PMI but the interest rates will come down sooner or later

The house next door to me sold and then exactly one year later sold again for $130k more .

Wife wants to rebuild this plan

Our house is officially for sale ( it has a range ) send it to your rich uncles and cousins! $15,000 finders fee if you sell it!

Back
Top Bottom