• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any ideas for a truck gun?

I agree with the comment about seeing weekly reports of guns being stolen out of vehicles. With that being said I like the Marlin Camp 9 that's posted for sale here. If you carry a Kel Tec P11 or an older Smith 9 mm then you can use the same mags in both. If you need it more compact you can get a quality side folding stock from Choate. I also like the SKS for this job IF you can find/afford a paratrooper model. I really like the M1 Carbine if you can find one that's affordable and not too nice to be banging around in behind the seat in the truck. But the most bang for the least amount of funds would have to be an 8 round Maverick pump. They can be had for a little over $200.00. I recently scored a Stevens 320 for $120.00 from my neighbor. I like my Mossberg better but this Stevens gets the job done.Put one of these in the truck with the 6 round side saddle shell carrier and a 10 round sling. Hard to beat the 12 gauge for versatility in ammo rock bottom prices and devastating stopping power at close range.

Just like all other firearms, different folks will recommend different guns for a "truck gun" (mine is sometimes a Subaru gun).

Make a list of criteria of what YOU feel is most important to YOU, then get the gun that fits.

Aaahhh.......how I long for the days of the $75 SKS's. There's a perfect truck gun!

I'm not knocking anyone's choice of a shotgun for their choice, I'm a self-proclaimed scattergun nut, but it won't work for me. One of my criteria is the ability to punch most body armor, even at a distance. 12ga won't even do it up close. Although, I've seen the bruises on a cop that took a load of 00 buck to his vest. Ouch......although he was able to stay on his feet and return fire.

Last edited:
Just like all other firearms, different folks will recommend different guns for a "truck gun" (mine is sometimes a Subaru gun).

Make a list of criteria of what YOU feel is most important to YOU, then get the gun that fits.

Aaahhh.......how I long for the days of the $75 SKS's. There's a perfect truck gun!

I'm not knocking anyone's choice of a shotgun for their choice, I'm a self-proclaimed scattergun nut, but it won't work for me. One of my criteria is the ability to punch most body armor, even at a distance. 12ga won't even do it up close. Although, I've seen the bruises on a cop that took a load of 00 buck to his vest. Ouch......although he was able to stay on his feet and return fire.
I agree on the shotgun VS body armor comment. And that MAY be an issue in the future with the type of terrorist shooting scenarios we've seen recently. But aside from that the shotgun is probably the most effective weapon for most situations.

I also really agree with the SKS comment. I really miss the days when they sold for below or at what they were worth. My one gripe with using one in this capacity is the length and weight. Not too long ago I had one that was all mismatched numbers. So I felt fine with cutting it down to paratrooper length. Then I added an aftermarket front sight base. It was a much handier rifle that way.

Like I said, I'm a huge shotgun fan. I was toting one in my first gunfight and liked them every since.

But......I wouldn't call it the most effective weapon for most situations. Lack of distance, lack of accuracy at distance, low capacity, slower to reload, etc.

If you have to make a precision shot at closer distances, better have the right load in the chamber, or be able to swap them out QUICK. Also, depending upon the need for intermediate barrier penetration, again with the importance of having the right load. I've skipped 00 buck off an auto windshield during training demos.

However, YMMV. If the shotgun fits your criteria, then that is EXACTLY what YOU should carry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan and I will say it's arguably the most versatile weapon system we've got, mainly due to the wide variety of available ammunition. There will always be a spot for a few shotguns in my repertoire.

My go-to's are my Wilson/Scattergun Tech 14" 870 and my old HK-marked Benelli M1. Both solid scatterguns, perfect examples of their type.

50 CAL YJ 006.JPG
This is my truck gun......

Back
Top Bottom