• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any ideas for a truck gun?

I'm doing the same thing but mines going to be probably the moss berg MVP .308 with Pmags much like cmshoot cmshoot talked about in his thread earlier this week. i might go with the Ruger american in a few weeks bc they are gonna be equipped with a vortex crossfire II 3-9x40 but we will see gotta put my hands on one to try it out

My idea of a "truck gun" is a long gun, to be used in emergencies when your pistol isn't enough gun.
However, a pistol caliber carbine COULD be more useful than a pistol in the same caliber, because the extra 12" or so of barrel length will give you considerably more velocity, with practically no recoil, AND much greater accuracy. In my hands, an open-sighted pistol with a 4.5" barrel is accurate enough at 25-40 yards but not much farther.
A 9mm Hi-Point carbine will make empty Coke cans jump at 75+ yards.
I'd bet that other 9mm, .40 and .45 carbines have twice the effective range of a normal-sized handgun, or 3X the range if they're scoped.

I have a shotgun loaded with buckshot and fitted with a flashlight / laser on the magazine tube. It's got a slight range advantage over my concealed-carry pistol, but a lot more stopping power, greater hit probability at distances beyond 20 yards, and it's more "pointable" to shoot from the hip without aiming. And it has better low-light usefulness than my pistol.

Another gun I've used for a vehicle-carry weapon is an SKS. A cheap $300 value Chinese thing with the standard stock and 10-round mag.
It's a little longer than I'd like (it's got the standard 20" barrel) but it's OK. It also wears a tactical flashlight / laser unit.

If (and I say "if") I wanted a handgun to be my dedicated truck gun, I'd look seriously at the S&W Sigma series or the new M&P full sized pistols. They're not expensive. They are reliable. They are bigger and hold more rounds and have longer barrels (better accuracy) than my concealed-carry gun. They have tactical accessory rails in case I want to put a light or laser on it. Also, the Taurus 24/7 or Millenium Pro series would work well for a vehicle-carry handgun, too.

The idea of a "truck gun" is a long gun, to be used in emergencies when your pistol isn't enough gun.

What kind of situations do people have in mind ? I always thought people were talking about a gun they left in a vehicle and didn't care that it might get beaten up.

If you're caught up in an active shooter-type scenario, ala San Bernadino.

Starting your truck and getting outta dodge is a valid option. When I teach Residential Room Clearing & Response to Active Shooter, I cover that as a "tactic".

I'm a Fed LEO and can't in good conscience flee the scene if there is anyway that I can positively assist. Hence, I have a capable truck gun along with a vest I can throw on that identifies me as "POLICE" on the front and back.

Back
Top Bottom