• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any AK Builders out there?

I thought about doing this as well, just not real sure about kits. I'm seeing prices from a little under $200 to over $600 for kits. Not sure if it wouldn't just be better to buy a Century Arms gun. I could do the drilling and pressing and riveting, but there has to be better jigs than what the videos in this thread are showing to make sure you get the holes right in the receiver.

If you don't have a kit, you'd be better off getting a used saiga and converting it. The work involved for the average guy with no tools, can be overwhelming. I bought romanian kits when they were $89 and for me to see one now for $325 is insane.

Used to be pretty cheap to get parts kits for 150 dollars from my gun dealer but now at 300 to 350 it almost cost as much to build one that it is to just buy one already running. We built a lot of 12 of them probably 8 years ago and it was cheap and tooling too as we bent our own lowers and heat treated them and they ran without a hiccup. It is fun though to build your own as u feel great when u get done. Now we are building 10/22 magnums which are a blast and mill the receivers out of aluminum in a mill. Were getting sub moa at 150 yards with these guns . Pretty cool when people see a gun and your serial number is your name or whatever u want as u built it.

Built my first in 2004. A screw build pistol. Sold it to an FFL shop that had never seen anything like it.

Back then, Tapco would sell AMD-65 kit for $55.00, a Vulcan receiver was $40.00 & the only compliance parts were made by Stock Options(later Ace Ltd), Gordon Technologies & First Son Enterprises. Soup Bowl Industries made US furniture. Rivets came from patriotof1 on AK47.net. Quite a few cottage industries making bolt cutter rivet tools.

Then, the Plinker Jig came along, later mass produced by AKBuilder.

And here we are, almost 10 years later.

Built my first in 2004. A screw build pistol. Sold it to an FFL shop that had never seen anything like it.

Back then, Tapco would sell AMD-65 kit for $55.00, a Vulcan receiver was $40.00 & the only compliance parts were made by Stock Options(later Ace Ltd), Gordon Technologies & First Son Enterprises. Soup Bowl Industries made US furniture. Rivets came from patriotof1 on AK47.net. Quite a few cottage industries making bolt cutter rivet tools.

Then, the Plinker Jig came along, later mass produced by AKBuilder.

And here we are, almost 10 years later.

My first builds were screw builds as well. Its a shame we can't get kits with barrels anymore.

Used to be pretty cheap to get parts kits for 150 dollars from my gun dealer but now at 300 to 350 it almost cost as much to build one that it is to just buy one already running. We built a lot of 12 of them probably 8 years ago and it was cheap and tooling too as we bent our own lowers and heat treated them and they ran without a hiccup. It is fun though to build your own as u feel great when u get done. Now we are building 10/22 magnums which are a blast and mill the receivers out of aluminum in a mill. Were getting sub moa at 150 yards with these guns . Pretty cool when people see a gun and your serial number is your name or whatever u want as u built it.

More info. please.

Back
Top Bottom