Am I crazy or naive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klarktx

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   0
Reaction score
While I feel I take preparedness serious, am I the ONLY person that doesn't have a Bug Out Bag specifically for what has culturally been determined as a SHTF situation?

What about TAC vests? I may internally laugh when I see so many civilians with rigged out plate carriers and loaded vest with enough MOLLE to string up a small army.

This IS NOT a thread to bash this line of thought. I seriously wonder if I am the one that is the minority?

I have a preparedness plan for general situations. Nothing specifically for Zomies, EMP scenarios, Nuclear devastation, etc. I have a locker dedicated to items to either use here at home or throw in the truck in case we had to evacuate.

I am interested in the survival groups, but maybe I take my position and career for granted and assume I am talented and experienced enough to price a kit together if needed.

What say you?

Unprepared?
Realistic
Blind to the I editable?

It just means you are comfortable where you are.

The fact you have a plan is the best part. A lot of the people buying up the gear
haven't gotten that far yet. All they know is they want to look cool.

It just means you are comfortable where you are.

The fact you have a plan is the best part. A lot of the people buying up the gear
haven't gotten that far yet. All they know is they want to look cool.

Dont get me wrong, I see some guys loaded TAC vests and I momentarily think " that looks handy for a grab and go", but just doesn't seem like a practical place to put my hard earned money.

You are crazy and naive, but not because you don't have a BOB.

The only time I pack one is when I'm out of state, might need to get home.

Most of us have no idea what to expect in a SHTF situation. If you don't live in a major city, It will most likely be best to stay put and band together with family and friends.
Over the years I've seen hysterical responses to atomic attack "drop drills", Cuban blockade, cold war, the wall, the 80s insane firearms sales (I made enough to buy a house) and Y2K, etc. All came and went without significant impact.
In the 80s, I almost gave in. My plan was to steal a sailboat in California and head West.
Only recently I've come to the conclusion that "Bug Home" is my best option (Age changes you point of view). If you bug out, what about your family and friends? They can't all go with you.
It would be prudent to lay in supplies and trading goods for whatever may come (Its now a hobby), the weather, power outage or transportation disruptions just to name a few situations (Zombies are unlikely). An EMP event would not change the plan nor would a Nuke event, depending on proximity of course.
I once accumulated enough to fight a war and support my family for a year or more. Armageddon never came and I don't think the near future includes a SHTF situation.

Last edited:
Don't have a bob for the examples you mentioned such as emp /nuke. Do have emergency type stuff in the car in case of a breakdown such as food water tp knife blanket etc etc.
Think it's a good idea to have some kind of written list of things to throw in a backpack or bag or already have that stuff in it. Hard to have everything for every situation, but if you have some of the essentials for a period of time, say maybe three days it is not a bad idea at all.

Certainly don't look down on those who are trying to be fully prepared for anything that comes along, but it is not something I am doing.

If SHTF I've got enough ammo to fend off about 100 zombies/looters/terrorists and enough food to last me about a day. I don't have a BOB but the more I'm on the forums around all these crazy preppers I start to think it wouldn't be a bad idea. Just something that if I had to grab and go ASAP I could do it and trying to get home base ready if I needed to hunker down for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom