• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aftermarket stereo

It's a 92 F150. It will need to be the slimmer of the units. No good way to cut the dash to make a bigger one look good that I know of but I could be wrong. I have a pretty good working knowledge of this stuff but getting the extra power is something I'm not real sure of. I can do the work if someone can layout what plugs into what. I have MB mids and tweets that come with there own little box (not real sure what it's called but it's for sound distribution between the tweet and the mids) and an amp.

img.justparts.com_uImage_967869A8_A5CA_4781_BD5D_063AB8D55025.JPG

That's what the dash looks like. I don't really see how a larger head unit could be made to fit, but I'm not an expert in this area.
Yep, you need a single DIN. Lots of choices, too. Amazon, Walmart, Crutchfield, Best Buy, etc. You can add a small power strip under the hood attached to the battery and run a 14 or 12 gauge line to your amp if it needs the extra power.

That looks great....I'm getting ready to do something similar with a radio that belonged to my great-grandfather (it originally ran off a lead acid battery!). Where did you find the grill cloth?

That's the original cloth I think. My dad might of replaced it when he refurbished the radio it self. He went through it and cleaned it up and replaced all of the tubes when I was young. He was good at that type of stuff. He had a work shop that he did his electrical repairs in. He bought a house with a basement and moved his shop there. I was around 10 when he was moving everything and helping the best a 10ish year old could. The radio was on the last load in the cargo van. He stood it up against the side of the van. I asked him if he should tie it off, he said we're just going around the corner it will be fine. The first corner we took was when it fell over. I'm not sure how many tubes broke but it was a lot of thin glass in the back of his van. I looked at him and he looked at me, I'll never forget the look on his face. I didn't dare say a word. looking back I see how much work he put into it. There was no google, only research in books and calling people on the phone.

Yep, you need a single DIN. Lots of choices, too. Amazon, Walmart, Crutchfield, Best Buy, etc. You can add a small power strip under the hood attached to the battery and run a 14 or 12 gauge line to your amp if it needs the extra power.

What's a single DIN?

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I am just wanting a few recommendations on what brand to give serious thought to. Mine isn't din style.
They're all made in China. No surprise there. I'd stick with brands like Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Jensen, and such, and from a reputable retailer, not a flea market or pawn shop. If you go retro style, the brand RetroSound is one of the main players. You'll need to read the reviews on models you're interested in.

High-end stuff: https://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
Cheaper stuff: https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-tires/car-stereos/91083_3947_2573876 & Amazon
Retro type: https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/automotive-radios

Back
Top Bottom