• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aftermarket stereo

Ooops mine is a din style. This phone has a mind of its own and changes words on a chronic basis.
In high school Pioneer was the unit of choice. I remember you could get a nice set of 6×9s for 80 to 110 dollars for the higher end ones and sounded awesome. I hope they are still on par with those. Thanks guys!

I've got a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4×4 with 69,000 miles on it and the right speakers quit working. So I am kinda in the same boat. I don't want to run a sub just replace all the speakers. It got a 6 inch round and a tweeter in each door panel and a 4×6 or 3×6 up right behind and to the side of the headrest. Replace those and add a good head unit. I don't like real loud music but I like it clean. Every now and then when a Dokken song comes on I turn it up a few notches but nothing obnoxious. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced head unit? The guy up here recommended Alpine speakers. I know they use to be the ticket but know I have no idea. The last time I installed a head unit and speakers was in 1992. I put two 12 Kickers in a self made box in the trunk ( it was a convertible Mustang so the sound got up into the car really well, a amp that took up all the back board of the box and 8 speakers up front. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to compare what that sounded like.

Me too. 2005 Silverado. Speakers all blowed. Never cared cause I’m deaf. Now have killer new hearing aids with Bluetooth so now I want tunes !

I remember my step dad restored the interior of his 1987 GMC Sierra and went with a basic Pioneer head unit with two 6x9s behind the seat. Sounded great in the single cab truck. I had a Pioneer Premier in my 89 blazer with clarion speakers in the doors. I've always leaned toward Pioneer even when my wife had the head unit replaced in her minivan. They have always worked well and sounded great. Call up Crutchfeld with what you have and they will list everything you need to get it going and even walk you through it if you get stumped.

I've been looking into what I have on hand. The amp I have is way bigger than I need but I'd rather not buy another one. Is having to big of an amp an issue? The other question I have is looking at head units most of them only seem to have one output for the speakers to the front with RCA cables, why is that? My amp says that you either have to use the RCA cables or speaker wire. I would think that you would get better sound with RCA cables, why don't they have RCA for front and rear?

Most modern head units will have front, rear and then separate subwoofer RCA outputs. They have built in frequency crossovers. I was amazed at how much tuning I could do with my new Kenwood. It even adjusts to what size speakers you're running.

Most modern head units will have front, rear and then separate subwoofer RCA outputs. They have built in frequency crossovers. I was amazed at how much tuning I could do with my new Kenwood. It even adjusts to what size speakers you're running.

What unit did you get?

Back
Top Bottom