• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aftermarket stereo

g049PS1213-o_other2.jpg

this is the closest thing I can find images of. This isn't exactly what I have but it's close. I bought the stuff years ago off of someone. It sounded great in his car.

What kind of truck and does it have the original stereo? I did custom installs back in the day. Now I just tinker. Make these portable boomcases now. They are bluetooth with no head unit.
View attachment 3368598

That thing is awesome. I have my dads old tube radio that I have wanted to do something like that to.

It's a 92 F150. It will need to be the slimmer of the units. No good way to cut the dash to make a bigger one look good that I know of but I could be wrong. I have a pretty good working knowledge of this stuff but getting the extra power is something I'm not real sure of. I can do the work if someone can layout what plugs into what. I have MB mids and tweets that come with there own little box (not real sure what it's called but it's for sound distribution between the tweet and the mids) and an amp.

img.justparts.com_uImage_967869A8_A5CA_4781_BD5D_063AB8D55025.JPG

That's what the dash looks like. I don't really see how a larger head unit could be made to fit, but I'm not an expert in this area.
Usually can fit a single DIN easily in that dash. Get the Ford style radio removal tools, one for each side. May have to rig it to stay in or space it once the new one is in. The little distribution box is likely the crossover that splits up the appropriate frequencies for your speakers.

It's a 92 F150. It will need to be the slimmer of the units. No good way to cut the dash to make a bigger one look good that I know of but I could be wrong. I have a pretty good working knowledge of this stuff but getting the extra power is something I'm not real sure of. I can do the work if someone can layout what plugs into what. I have MB mids and tweets that come with there own little box (not real sure what it's called but it's for sound distribution between the tweet and the mids) and an amp.

That's what the dash looks like. I don't really see how a larger head unit could be made to fit, but I'm not an expert in this area.
That's a single DIN unit on the fords. You can get a single DIN that slides out with a bigger screen.

In any case, these are the easiest units to remove. You see the two holes on each side of the original unit? These pop in there and release the tabs. When you pull the tools out after pushing them in, the radio will slide out.
41cZZqU37oL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

The speaker set up you're showing above is a component set up similar to what I have in the suitcase speakers. The little boxes are crossovers. Takes input from the channel and splits it into highs going to the tweeters and lows to the woofers so you don't end up with sound distortion.

Thanks on the refinishing.

I used to have an aftermarket cd player in it that was stolen. So I put the factory back in. It was just a plug and play thing with original speakers. Everything is getting old and worn on the truck and I'm redoing it. I figured now is the time to do the stereo as well.

I'd appreciate some links

Is that a single cab? I don't think I'd waste time with a component system, seperate tweeters and mid/lows. In the single cab f150 in that year range you can put some good 6.5" in the front and some decent 4x6 I think I'm the rear, maybe 6x9? I had a 12" sealed sub in a 94 F150 similar to that behind the seat and it was a real tight fit

Is that a single cab? I don't think I'd waste time with a component system, seperate tweeters and mid/lows. In the single cab f150 in that year range you can put some good 6.5" in the front and some decent 4x6 I think I'm the rear, maybe 6x9? I had a 12" sealed sub in a 94 F150 similar to that behind the seat and it was a real tight fit

Yes it's a single cab. I wasn't really planning on a sub though. There's barely room back there for a shotgun. I got a killer deal on what I have which is the only reason that I would put them in. I don't have to use the tweets, it just came as a package deal.

I've got a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4×4 with 69,000 miles on it and the right speakers quit working. So I am kinda in the same boat. I don't want to run a sub just replace all the speakers. It got a 6 inch round and a tweeter in each door panel and a 4×6 or 3×6 up right behind and to the side of the headrest. Replace those and add a good head unit. I don't like real loud music but I like it clean. Every now and then when a Dokken song comes on I turn it up a few notches but nothing obnoxious. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced head unit? The guy up here recommended Alpine speakers. I know they use to be the ticket but know I have no idea. The last time I installed a head unit and speakers was in 1992. I put two 12 Kickers in a self made box in the trunk ( it was a convertible Mustang so the sound got up into the car really well, a amp that took up all the back board of the box and 8 speakers up front. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to compare what that sounded like.

Back
Top Bottom