• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on first gun

TheShiplessCaptain

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Well here it goes!
I have been shooting all my life, rifles, shotguns, pistols, all of them. Yet i have never purchased a gun of my own, mostly due to lack of cash. We finally had some money coming in and I decided, I'm getting a gun! Well life happens, and my gun fund was the first thing to go, but I still want a gun! So my question is whats a good, reliable, pistol for a first time owner, around 200-250 dollars(any caliber)? I have looked at several, but am still unsure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks i'll keep an eye out for that ruger. I have kept ammo in mind, it can add up fast! But i dont know if a .22 is powerful enough for personal defence(your thoughts?) although it would be fun at the range. Thanks for the input!

I'm sure someone will want to argue this, but I have been very pleased at clean Taurus and Rossi used revolvers in the $250 range. .38 Special is a reasonably adequate defense round and a J-frame in one of these can make a good carry weapon. Ammo isn't cheap like a .22lr, but it is a reasonably inexpensive compromise. This can be a satisfactory practice weapon or carry weapon until you can move up to S&W, Glock, etc.

You can find a used Bersa Thunder 380 for around $250. They are very reliable and easy to carry (if or when you get your CC permit, if you don't already have it).

get a charter arms .38 snub nose as your first gun, or something similar.

i got one used in excellent condition for 230 at a gun show, i see them on here (or taurus or rossi or what have you) for around 200 to 250 on a regular basis

B Byrd makes a great point. A revolver for a first gun would be an excellent choice. A .357, 4" barrel or less would be fun to shoot and provide excellent home protection. Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, are good choices. A used .357 would be in the OP's price range.

A lot of folks on here dont care much for Taurus but they are great guns. They can be had for not much more than what you are talking about your budget being . I actully picked up a 709 slim on here that fit right in your budget that is a nice CC 9mm

Back
Top Bottom