• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advanced help. Judge with 460sw loaded like 45lc

Status
Not open for further replies.

snatch3838

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Vehicle / Equipment Dealer
130   1
Reaction score
Just like the title says no opinions or warnings needed. I want to push the projectile forward to engage riffling sooner. So the judge would be more accurate. This would eliminate the bullet wobble in the cylinder. I would assume trail boss would need to be used the 45 lc is barley filled with modern powder the 460 case would be in the 10 to 20 percent case full area.

Big question (same load as a 45 lc) how much would the extra case capacity lower pressure? Would that be dangerous? Every body knows what happens if you go the other direction - a split cylinder maybe even hand or face. If the 45 load data was in the 800 feet per second using the extra volume of the 460 would this be in Squibb territory.

As stated before no opinions or warning needed just facts from a scientific standpoint

if I understand this right you are trying to get a longer OAL so the bullet will be seated towards the end of the chamber. And you plan on using a 460 case to do this? Why don't you just check on brass 410 shells? If you decide it would work that would place the bullet as far forward as it could possibly go. And in the words of sniper22
if you do this I definitely want to watch..

if I understand this right you are trying to get a longer OAL so the bullet will be seated towards the end of the chamber. And you plan on using a 460 case to do this? Why don't you just check on brass 410 shells? If you decide it would work that would place the bullet as far forward as it could possibly go. And in the words of sniper22

I have never worked with the brass 410 all the ones I see are three inch I got a 2 1/2 chamber I don't know how These unfold or how sharing the brass is I have read somewhere I think cheaper than diets website that these are not to be used with a judge at all. The 460 casing is strong long and an exact fit. Just the volume has me concerned. No more power needed the judge can't handle it. But if the judge could be made almost as accurate as a standard revolver then that turns is from a self defense snake blaster to a legitimate all around woods hunting seldefense multipurpose multi caliber revolver well at least the six inch barrel. No reinventing the bullet just squeaking out a tighter group from a gun I love to shoot.

You should be fine. It is normally placing the round to close to the lands that will cause a explosion. You won't get a squib load either if it is a normal load for a .45 C/LC whatever your flavor.

Are you saying that thing will chamber a .460 round? Man does that sound like a lawsuit looking for a place to happen!

From what I've gathered these 410/45 shooters aren't built for accuracy. As you state, load density is already an issue with most powders and safe pressure with standard blackpowder pressure loads and increasing the case capacity will only aggravate this.

I might experiment with a Ruger, but a lightweight revolver like the Taurus would put the brakes on for me.

Have you looked at any load data for the 460 S&W with trail boss to see what kind of pressure or velocity it is creating? Might be worth comparing a 460 loaded with trail boss to standard loading for the 45 colt

Have you looked at any load data for the 460 S&W with trail boss to see what kind of pressure or velocity it is creating? Might be worth comparing a 460 loaded with trail boss to standard loading for the 45 colt

Who knows what effect the extra case capacity will have on the pressures. Extra capacity and a small charge can sometimes cause unsuspected spikes? I'd be careful about substituting anything.

Of course I'm older (a bit of an "old woman") and a lot more conservative than many, especially with complete unknowns?

As above, I've read that the barrels are more shot friendly and most don't shoot that great. I know I've read somewhere about folks slugging the barrels and finding some had relatively shallow riflings with some bullets barely being marked when fired. I think some have cast oversized, maybe .453" or .454" and gotten a little better accuracy.

Just remember,* TINSTAAFL in loading! When you change one small component it can make a large difference.

*There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Last edited:
There's postings on the web with people using cut-down .444 cases (as I recall ... you know: like 300 ACC cases made from .223).
I don't recall all of the string of discussion, but powder type would be a major consideration as some
powders don't do well with lots of empty case ...

Most experience listed with .410 Brass Cases was reported as "poor" to "will not work"

One observation was that the "Judge" type pistol has both a short barrel (most, but not all), and the lands / groves
were cut shallow to allow the .410 shotgun shell perform acceptably.

Here's some "food for thought"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77869

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help but without machining it won't work there is a ridge in the cylinders throat to prevent long shell to enter. Safty safty safty all else checked out for the go ahead but no fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom