• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help identifying powder

Dan Muk

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
258   0
Reaction score
Hey ODTers, came across this 8lb keg in my stash of stuff and CANNOT for the life of me remember what it is… Cardboard cylinder with UN059 it’s a flake like shot shell/pistol powder. Im thinking of putting together some powder puff loads with 200 grain swc’s for the 1911 with this stuff. I will start very low and work up of course. Back when I got this I was really into Unique powder but this does not have the same appearance of the last bit of my unique I have laying around… Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6926.jpeg
    IMG_6926.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6927.jpeg
    IMG_6927.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6925.jpeg
    IMG_6925.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 47
UN059​
Charges, shaped, without detonator. Articles consisting of a casing containing a charge of detonating explosive with a cavity lined with rigid material, without means of initiation. They are designed to produce a powerful, penetrating jet effect.

Smokeless powder is UN0160/0161.
Black Powder is UN0027.

UN059​
Charges, shaped, without detonator. Articles consisting of a casing containing a charge of detonating explosive with a cavity lined with rigid material, without means of initiation. They are designed to produce a powerful, penetrating jet effect.

Smokeless powder is UN0160/0161.
Black Powder is UN0027.
I found this info as well but does not jive with the contents. It did have a laminated label at one point.

I am known to be a mite thrifty but I would chuck it -----
It will fertilize the garden in spring if need be. It’s not that difficult to identify its usability with some temperature and burn tests before doing some very minor charges and looking for signs of pressure and temperature indicators on brass…

Back
Top Bottom