• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help identifying powder

IMG_0844.jpeg

Bullseye on left Herco on right (.22LR for size)

At least you know it’s not Green Dot, Red Dot, Blue Dot or Bullseye. That leaves Herco and Unique. It may be Unique as well. They look similar. In this day and age, I’d be reluctant (I’m cheap) to turn 8lbs of any powder, let alone Hercules into “fertilizer”.

My approach would be to load some pistol or shotgun ammo and start low and slow (of course ensuring no squibs) and then see what you got.

At least you know it’s not Green Dot, Red Dot, Blue Dot or Bullseye. That leaves Herco and Unique. It may be Unique as well. They look similar. In this day and age, I’d be reluctant (I’m cheap) to turn 8lbs of any powder, let alone Hercules into “fertilizer”.

My approach would be to load some pistol or shotgun ammo and start low and slow (of course ensuring no squibs) and then see what you got.
I used to have a good stash of Unique but thought I had used it all so I’m leaning that way. I will start VERY low with a few loads to build data off of and get out the chronograph. Obviously looking for any fail indicators along the way. I will report back in a few days when I get it all compiled.

I would use bullseye data start low and use a chronograph possibly in 38 spl and go from there ,I use only 1.9 gr as my start with a wad cutter, once you know it's safe and up to published data you can compare what the chrono is showing and what published data is showing it should be, you would need to do something similar in any cartridge your using it in

Best of luck.
You’re more adventurous LOL!

Hey ODTers, came across this 8lb keg in my stash of stuff and CANNOT for the life of me remember what it is… Cardboard cylinder with UN059 it’s a flake like shot shell/pistol powder. Im thinking of putting together some powder puff loads with 200 grain swc’s for the 1911 with this stuff. I will start very low and work up of course. Back when I got this I was really into Unique powder but this does not have the same appearance of the last bit of my unique I have laying around… Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1703432525161.png
    1703432525161.png
    770.7 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom