• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

active shooter targetting film crew in virginia

There are documented cases of people surviving heart shots, and statements made by more than one surgeon that a bullet to the heart will often not stop assailants instantly. Have you ever seen the Mark Coates (S. Carolina trooper shot in the heart) video? A spine shot below the level of arm paralysis may be fatal, may not. At any rate handgun wounds below the level of the head, while sometimes fatal, seldom achieve instant stops. Two rounds to the center mass and re-evaluating is as likely to get you shot back as it is to end the hostility.
I just looked that up. He shot the perp 5 times in the chest with a 357 mag, and the perp survived. However, he was shot with a 22 and it hit the heart and he died. Crazy.

I think the number of people not stopped instantly would surprise you.

As for the .45...............You could ask this guy, Mark Wilson, if he were alive.

[Broken External Image]:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/tacoma_tyler.htm

Excellent link and break down of those incidents. Those are the type of things I try to absorb. Reminds me of the Target shooting a while back where the gunman's female accomplice shot and killed a citizen that tried to engage.
If at all possible, engage from cover, engage from cover, engage from cover. Then have position of cover to fall back to.

Awareness trumps any moment of crisis, 24 sec and the woman being interviewed didn't peripheral see the shooter pointing at the reporter, gun fully drawn and VERY close, the reporter would have at least seen her facial expression of danger and looked.
Seems very strange, but as in trying to learn something from this tragedy, ...the woman was thin framed and moved a lot escaping with multiple shots,
I'm wondering if he used 115gr 9mm cartridges and they just went through fast and not doing body cavity damage by the higher projectile velocity.
Anyone carrying a 9mm for self defense better revisit their ammo "make up" to a higher grain, cause that many shots seems a lot for someone to be able to keep going from being a thin woman,
I know shot placement is being critical here so that even plays more so to the importance of a higher grain projectile entering an attacker. Cause he's experiencing the adrenalin rush right before he engages you anyways...

Just a terrible time for these families tho....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom