• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A tool that helps with gear shifting.

My son's first ATV was a Suzuki Quadsport Lt 160 with a 5 speed transmission and automatic clutch. When he decided to go for a dirtbike he wanted to go automatic also, but I taught him to ride his bike with a manual transmission. After he learned to do it he said he was so glad that I taught him to do so! He's been riding ever since!

Soooo..... Let me get this right. You want to take the most dangerous vehicle on the road, and make it easier for the dumbest people to operate? :wacko:
I think I got it now ! :thumb: GLWS!! (J/k)
Pretty much. Open the market for more people. Also I want to get rich. Rich people don't care what dumb people do with their products.

I'm not talking about faster shifting. I'm talking about assisting with clutch management so you don't stall out. The first gear is the crucial gear to take off and a inexperienced rider will most likely will stall out or let the clutch too fast and jerk the bike causing them to panic and cause other problems. The device will make the clutch almost automatic. All you would have to do is pull in clutch, shift gear with your foot and let go of clutch and apply throttle as needed. So newbs wouldn't have to worry bout finding the "sweet" spot on the clutch before applying throttle. The device will find the sweet spot for you!

I'm not talking about faster shifting. I'm talking about assisting with clutch management so you don't stall out. The first gear is the crucial gear to take off and a inexperienced rider will most likely will stall out or let the clutch too fast and jerk the bike causing them to panic and cause other problems. The device will make the clutch almost automatic. All you would have to do is pull in clutch, shift gear with your foot and let go of clutch and apply throttle as needed. So newbs wouldn't have to worry bout finding the "sweet" spot on the clutch before applying throttle. The device will find the sweet spot for you!

Rekluse in Idaho makes a clutch that's is exactly what you are talking about. I have one in my 450 KTM and will probably put one in my 950. I know that they make them for some of the harleys as well, but no idea if they make them for sport bikes. Their main market is dirt bikes and dual sport bikes.

In really basic terms it's a centrifugal clutch. as the rpms drop, there are balls/slider that move in and out and actuate the clutch. so basically as your rpm's lower close to idle the clutch disengages. as you twist the throttle and rpm's go up, they spin out and engage the clutch. perfect modulation every time. you can remove your clutch lever if you want or most of their systems allow the clutch lever to over ride the rekluse system. You can change the balls/ramps to different numbers and weights to change the clutch engagement and rpm. it's a very very cool setup, has been out for many years and is proven technology.

Haven't bothered to look if they have sport bike versions. I know a few years ago they didn't. I have a buddy that only has one arm and he does a lot of road racing but we just put all of his controls on the left side of the bars. clutch, front brake and throttle. He's a pretty fast racer (earned his expert plate his second year racing) and it seemed to work fine for him. he does have a rekluse in his dirt bike.

if you want a more sport oriented bike, there are really only two options on the market currently:

1) Yamaha made their FJR1300 in an AE version or something. Basically an auto clutch. Most people didn't like them so I'm sure you can find one cheap.

2) Honda VFR1200 made some of them with the DCT transmission. same idea as the Yamaha- auto clutch. again, no one liked them so they should be easy to find cheap. sporty enough.

in my opinion if you want a sport bike, learn to use the clutch. the FJR and VFR were not given good reviews by folks that ride bikes. But I guess if you were a newbie and really wanted to ride but didn't want to learn, it might be an option, but IMHO I'd just tell them to buy a scooter. or take of their skirt and learn to ride. ;)

Rekluse in Idaho makes a clutch that's is exactly what you are talking about. I have one in my 450 KTM and will probably put one in my 950. I know that they make them for some of the harleys as well, but no idea if they make them for sport bikes. Their main market is dirt bikes and dual sport bikes.

In really basic terms it's a centrifugal clutch. as the rpms drop, there are balls/slider that move in and out and actuate the clutch. so basically as your rpm's lower close to idle the clutch disengages. as you twist the throttle and rpm's go up, they spin out and engage the clutch. perfect modulation every time. you can remove your clutch lever if you want or most of their systems allow the clutch lever to over ride the rekluse system. You can change the balls/ramps to different numbers and weights to change the clutch engagement and rpm. it's a very very cool setup, has been out for many years and is proven technology.

Haven't bothered to look if they have sport bike versions. I know a few years ago they didn't. I have a buddy that only has one arm and he does a lot of road racing but we just put all of his controls on the left side of the bars. clutch, front brake and throttle. He's a pretty fast racer (earned his expert plate his second year racing) and it seemed to work fine for him. he does have a rekluse in his dirt bike.

if you want a more sport oriented bike, there are really only two options on the market currently:

1) Yamaha made their FJR1300 in an AE version or something. Basically an auto clutch. Most people didn't like them so I'm sure you can find one cheap.

2) Honda VFR1200 made some of them with the DCT transmission. same idea as the Yamaha- auto clutch. again, no one liked them so they should be easy to find cheap. sporty enough.

in my opinion if you want a sport bike, learn to use the clutch. the FJR and VFR were not given good reviews by folks that ride bikes. But I guess if you were a newbie and really wanted to ride but didn't want to learn, it might be an option, but IMHO I'd just tell them to buy a scooter. or take of their skirt and learn to ride. ;)

I'll check into that. Yeah I was pointing towards super sports and I hadn't found one that was automatic. I plan to get one and last time I rode was at MSF class about a year and half ago. Maybe I still have the feel!

the issue from talking to friends that rode both the FJR and VFR autos was at slow speed it was hard to get the feel/throttle control just right. parking lot maneuvers were difficult and with a bigger bike like these could lead to tipping over. but once you are moving there was very little notice that it's an "automatic". In both of these cases I think you still have to shift with your foot like a traditional bike but you just don't use a clutch. so it's very much like a rekluse in that regards. I love mine and can't wait to put one in my 950. makes stalling while riding technical trails a thing of the past.

plus I think once you get the feel of the bike it'll be easy to get back in the swing of things. Don't over think the riding and clutch use. I didn't ride for years and when I got back into street riding in my 30's it was very easy to jump back on board. if you are looking at anything and have any questions, feel free to PM me, I still have some good contacts in that industry..

You can shift w/o a clutch once you get going as long as the motor isn't under load.

Just practice. You'll have it in no time!

Yep, shifted the Honda Shado this way, both KAW cruisers, 1937 Dodge, 1948 Dodge, 1967 VW, 1964 C10, 1965 C10 with T5 OD Trans, 1994 Mustang and 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK. About the only time you really need a clutch is in and out of first and occasionally in and out of OD if your trans has an OD gear.

Back
Top Bottom