• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

a reminder: wear safety goggles

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
i work with power tools; have a healthy respect too but i still dint always wear proper safety gear while working.....this video makes me think twice

I was using a wire brush attachment on a drill once. I was sure I got something in my eye because it hurt when I blinked. I went to the doctor and discovered that a wire bristle from the brush had flown off and embedded itself straight in my eye. It stuck out just enough to scratch my eyelid when I blinked. To remove it they dragged dental floss across my eye, caught the bristle, and pulled it out. Because of that, I usually wear eye protection (but not always).

I was using a wire brush attachment on a drill once. I was sure I got something in my eye because it hurt when I blinked. I went to the doctor and discovered that a wire bristle from the brush had flown off and embedded itself straight in my eye. It stuck out just enough to scratch my eyelid when I blinked. To remove it they dragged dental floss across my eye, caught the bristle, and pulled it out. Because of that, I usually wear eye protection (but not always).
holy **** thats my nightmare

metat in the eye

Had a "ziz wheel" blow up on a grinder today. I had a welding hood on with the clear lens in while I was cutting. I turned it off, but it slipped out of my hand while it was rpming down and hit the ground and blew up. ALWAYS protect your eyes!!! It was a brand new wheel too.

I did about the same thing with a zizz wheel, except mine looked more like a half a smiley face. Only had to pay Emory $7500 to close it up. Full face shield from then on.....

I've been to the Dr. twice to get stuff removed from my eye. Once a piece of wood. Once a piece of metal that i thought I got out. The next morning when i woke up my eye was beat red. The piece of metal rusted in my eye over night. That was a fun one. I had glasses on when that one happened but I was working over head

My trade school teacher dropped a 4’ fluorescent bulb while standing on a ladder. It fell right to the floor and shattered. Next day his eye was red and itchy. Couple days went by and he went to the doc to find out a shard of glass had stuck itself in his eyeball. Every time he blinked, it would cut his eye lid which is why he kept feeling an itch. They had to drill that bad boy out. So I always change my fluorescent bulbs with my eyes closed.

I've had my share of steel pulled out of my eyes too. No fun. Especially if it rusts in there. They have to grind the rust out with a tiny roto tool. Seen some pretty bad stuff up close. Now I use leather jacket, gloves, glasses and full face shield. I still manage to get stuff in my eyes and ears occasionally. Nothing like a hot rock deep in your ear. All you can do is wait for it cool off.

I've learned my lesson the hard way too about safety goggles. I used to be bad about not wearing them doing yardwork and one day I was weed eating around a fence and shot a small grain of dirt/grass in to my eye. Hit me right in the pupil. I had to to to the urgent care to have them get it out. Ended up with a scratched pupil and fuzzy vision for a few weeks. Had to take some antibiotic eyedrops and it all cleared up after a few weeks. That was a painful and expensive lesson!

Back
Top Bottom