• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A more REALISTIC dry fire training session

Sorry, but nope. Rapid fire dry fire is basically useless and actually trains a false muscle memory because it does not take into account recoil. Even when I am teaching a new shooter and start them off with 22lr, I move them into full size SD rounds very quickly once they become good enough to honestly practice rapid fire.

I do a lot of dry fire drills, but they are all centered around skills that do not have to deal with recoil. I also do a lot of work with 22lr, but it is all about getting the first round on target fast. I never double tap, rapid fire or do target transitions with 22lr or dry fire. It teaches your body the wrong things.

Sorry, but nope. Rapid fire dry fire is basically useless and actually trains a false muscle memory because it does not take into account recoil. Even when I am teaching a new shooter and start them off with 22lr, I move them into full size SD rounds very quickly once they become good enough to honestly practice rapid fire.

I do a lot of dry fire drills, but they are all centered around skills that do not have to deal with recoil. I also do a lot of work with 22lr, but it is all about getting the first round on target fast. I never double tap, rapid fire or do target transitions with 22lr or dry fire. It teaches your body the wrong things.

20yqm1.jpg

Say what!? Basically useless? Teaches your body wrong things!? Nah. To each his own. I have heard/seen from many well respected trainers the benefit of dry fire drills (including "rapid fire" drills) which is why a lot of guys use a SIRT pistol and other devices. Not only what i have heard from others but my own experience shows the benefit of dry fire practice. My shooting and trigger control has been enhanced with the help of tools such as the dry fire mag, snap caps, etc. Transitioning from targets to targets and throttle control on the trigger has gotten better as well (an example would be the dot torture drill with dry fire mag-makes for better progress when ya "go live"). Yes recoil adds another element but i have heard guys use your argument about recoil for a reason that ALL dry fire is useless. I have seen all of the mentioned training aids to be helpful and a fun way to train when ya cant get to the range everyday. So...respectfully completely disagree with it being useless.

I can agree with the recoil issues, but training with a SIRT has raised my level of accuracy tremendously, so its working for me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

View attachment 1434696

Say what!? Basically useless? Teaches your body wrong things!? Nah. To each his own. I have heard/seen from many well respected trainers the benefit of dry fire drills (including "rapid fire" drills) which is why a lot of guys use a SIRT pistol and other devices. Not only what i have heard from others but my own experience shows the benefit of dry fire practice. My shooting and trigger control has been enhanced with the help of tools such as the dry fire mag, snap caps, etc. Transitioning from targets to targets and throttle control on the trigger has gotten better as well (an example would be the dot torture drill with dry fire mag-makes for better progress when ya "go live"). Yes recoil adds another element but i have heard guys use your argument about recoil for a reason that ALL dry fire is useless. I have seen all of the mentioned training aids to be helpful and a fun way to train when ya cant get to the range everyday. So...respectfully completely disagree with it being useless.
Yeah, to each there own, but how can simply repeatedly pulling a trigger on an inert object in any way prepare you for pulling the same trigger when the weapon violently jumps with each round fired?

I agree that dry fire drills have a lot of value and that's why I do them. They definitely help with accuracy on individual rounds fired, but the moment rate of fire classifies as "rapid" (which to me means fastest possible recovery and the next round fired) dry fire is worthless. What it will do is greatly increase the likelihood that you will be firing at a rate that you will lose accuracy, because you have programmed your body to shoot without recoil, which you can obviously do much faster than you can with recoil.

I can agree with the recoil issues, but training with a SIRT has raised my level of accuracy tremendously, so its working for me.

Accuracy improvement? Absolutely. Accuracy in rapid fire with recoil? Not a chance.

Accuracy improvement? Absolutely. Accuracy in rapid fire with recoil? Not a chance.
I've always shot better fast than re-zeroing for every shot. But I did agree with mostly on the recoil point.

In any case, as I said, I'm using a SIRT, and it has definitely tightened my shots up to .5-1" shots. Actually, I give the credit to the SIRT for helping me shoot two eyes open, and no aiming, just point and shoot.

Tell you what, here's a little experiment you can do.

Take your favorite 22lr handgun and shoot ten timed ten round groups with the requirement that you have to make 100% hits in the "A". Now do the same thing with your favorite center fire SD handgun and compare notes. If you do the 22lr first, I bet you will find that either your speed or your accuracy will greatly suffer when shooting the SD load.

Then, skip the dry fire and 22lr practice for five range sessions with the SD load and do the timed test again with that handgun. I'll bet your accuracy and speed will much more closely match your original 22lr results.

Back
Top Bottom