• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A more REALISTIC dry fire training session

Purchased a dry fire mag and have had it about 4 days. Good aid in trigger control. Going to have to undercut the trigger guard.

Yeah i still utilize the dry fire mag in addition to the cool fire trainer kit. Having no recoil in the dry fire mag helps in watching if when just pulling the trigger, the gun/front sight does not pull left or right. Especially when ya pull the trigger repeatedly and quickly to work finger muscles

Recently shot live fire and the cool fire trainer kit back to back and it was VERY similar in felt recoil and overall feel and experience. The benefit of the cool fire is the endless drills you can run through safely and they can be done anywhere. I picked up some of those small circular reflectors from home depot and use those as targets staged in various areas. I use em mostly in my gym when workin combat strength training routines merging firearms and fitness with combative type workouts. When the laser hits the reflector...BAM! YA GOT A SHOT and see it from far away. You are very limited at most ranges with training drills. just stand and shoot starionary paper. Not so with dry fire tools like the dry fire mag and cool fire kit. Endless options for creative firearms training from your EDC set up
#getoutandtrain

Recently shot live fire and the cool fire trainer kit back to back and it was VERY similar in felt recoil and overall feel and experience. The benefit of the cool fire is the endless drills you can run through safely and they can be done anywhere. I picked up some of those small circular reflectors from home depot and use those as targets staged in various areas. I use em mostly in my gym when workin combat strength training routines merging firearms and fitness with combative type workouts. When the laser hits the reflector...BAM! YA GOT A SHOT and see it from far away. You are very limited at most ranges with training drills. just stand and shoot starionary paper. Not so with dry fire tools like the dry fire mag and cool fire kit. Endless options for creative firearms training from your EDC set up
#getoutandtrain
Yes, I'm reviving a 4½ year old thread.
Yes, I actually just learned about these types of training practices...........Now that the required confessional about a necro-thread is out of the way.........

If you don't mind sharing your long term experience with the coolfire setup, I'd genuinely appreciate it.
I'm interested in the ability to train some at home, since range time is very limited for me lately. 2023 is not going to be as lax for me as 2022 was. We all know grip/presentation/trigger control are based on repetitive muscle memory and are perishable skills. Ashamed to admit.......what little skill I could claim.....has suffered from not shooting every week, or even every month.
On paper, the coolfire seems to be near perfect.

-Ability to use MY pistol with light/rmr mounted.....
-Ability to use and train from my holster.....including re-holster/re-draw on different targets.
-Ability to simulate recoil and provide trigger reset...
-Ability to set up targets throughout the house that indicate hits....

My questions are:
Do you still use/benefit from the coolfire setup?

If not, why did you quit? (Lack of desired results/broken parts/other?)

What is/was your most/least favorite notes about the coolfire trainer setup?

Would you estimate the benefits of this style training to justify the cost of the setup?

Is there anything one should absolutely be aware of concerning this system before ordering one? (Quirks, caveats, oddities)

And lastly, is there a newer/ better system similar to the coolfire that is more recommended now, and is there anything I'm missing about the capabilities of the coolfire that I should be aware of before ordering?

Thanks in advance for any help or additional information.

Yes still use it. Nothing broke or damaged and it is a great supplement to live fire for all the things ya mentioned (trigger press, your sights, your grip, gun etc.)

Least favorite thing is if ya run it fast and hard it gets cold and can freeze up and need a min to warm down but not a l deal breaker as you can still practice all fundamentals and draw to first shot with a few target transitions. Don’t really need to “mag dump” everytime ya use it (that’s what causes it to literally frost up if ya keep doing it back to back but will go back to normal in a few min). Yeah it’s on the pricey side but pats for itself quickly will all the realistic training ya get. Does it fell like full power loads of live ammo? No. Does it recoil enough to disrupt sight picture and what not? Yup. The ability to work from the holster, get a feel for working the trigger and transitions , reloads etc. it’s good. Having reflective targets (bought small reflectors from Home Depot) you can place em about and get good drills in. It is temperature sensitive so if ya keep the bottle in your garage it will not be as strong of force or operate at its ideal abili so that’s something to be aware of. But as long as temps are not freezing and in controlled air environment it’s great. The warmer the better so outdoors in summer it’s a champ.

Would I buy one again years later?

Well the kit I have is for a Glock. I have recently been really enjoying the Hellcat pro pistol and they are about to release a kit for that pistol and yes I am planning on purchasing that one as well so there’s that.

Oh and not aware of anything better yet for training that gives ya the real feel of shooting experience. Mantis X still has ya racking the slide after every shot. Dry fire mag now has a laser/mantis x kinda thing going on so at least ya can shoot from reset and all but still no sights disrupted by recoil

Yes still use it. Nothing broke or damaged and it is a great supplement to live fire for all the things ya mentioned (trigger press, your sights, your grip, gun etc.)

Least favorite thing is if ya run it fast and hard it gets cold and can freeze up and need a min to warm down but not a l deal breaker as you can still practice all fundamentals and draw to first shot with a few target transitions. Don’t really need to “mag dump” everytime ya use it (that’s what causes it to literally frost up if ya keep doing it back to back but will go back to normal in a few min). Yeah it’s on the pricey side but pats for itself quickly will all the realistic training ya get. Does it fell like full power loads of live ammo? No. Does it recoil enough to disrupt sight picture and what not? Yup. The ability to work from the holster, get a feel for working the trigger and transitions , reloads etc. it’s good. Having reflective targets (bought small reflectors from Home Depot) you can place em about and get good drills in. It is temperature sensitive so if ya keep the bottle in your garage it will not be as strong of force or operate at its ideal abili so that’s something to be aware of. But as long as temps are not freezing and in controlled air environment it’s great. The warmer the better so outdoors in summer it’s a champ.

Would I buy one again years later?

Well the kit I have is for a Glock. I have recently been really enjoying the Hellcat pro pistol and they are about to release a kit for that pistol and yes I am planning on purchasing that one as well so there’s that.

Oh and not aware of anything better yet for training that gives ya the real feel of shooting experience. Mantis X still has ya racking the slide after every shot. Dry fire mag now has a laser/mantis x kinda thing going on so at least ya can shoot from reset and all but still no sights disrupted by recoil
Thank you. I'll be ordering myself one to get some much needed practice/repetitions in.

Back
Top Bottom