• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A few others still getting them back today...

Well I've seen 5.45's suppressed, maybe try a different type of 5.45?
1 key hole in 600 isn't quite enough to have me scrap the whole project. I want to do some more testing before I call it bad. I'm thinking I need to setup a big sheet of cardboard at 5 yards and blast the heck out of it. Do a couple 100 round dumps and check for key holes. See if I can force the thing to key hole. Hell, for all I know the one key hole I saw was from somebody else shooting my target. I thought maybe it came from my 5.56 but it was too long. Honestly it looked too long for the 5.45. I need to pull one of the rounds and see what the OAL of the bullet is.

1 key hole in 600 isn't quite enough to have me scrap the whole project. I want to do some more testing before I call it bad. I'm thinking I need to setup a big sheet of cardboard at 5 yards and blast the heck out of it. Do a couple 100 round dumps and check for key holes. See if I can force the thing to key hole. Hell, for all I know the one key hole I saw was from somebody else shooting my target. I thought maybe it came from my 5.56 but it was too long. Honestly it looked too long for the 5.45. I need to pull one of the rounds and see what the OAL of the bullet is.

No expert here, so just wondering - could keyhole-ing be caused by ammo and not the rifle?

No expert here, so just wondering - could keyhole-ing be caused by ammo and not the rifle?
Very much so, but the only ammo I am interested in shooting out of this gun is cheap surplus 7n6 ammo. If I'm not going to be shooting cheap surplus 7n6 ammo, I can shoot 5.56 out of another gun for less than other 5.45 ammo in this gun.

Very much so, but the only ammo I am interested in shooting out of this gun is cheap surplus 7n6 ammo. If I'm not going to be shooting cheap surplus 7n6 ammo, I can shoot 5.56 out of another gun for less than other 5.45 ammo in this gun.

That makes sense. I was not thinking about the fact that non-surplus 5.45 ammo is probably not really common or inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom