• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A few others still getting them back today...

they do it by ballistic nature so you are trying to change inherent properties. They are design to tumble.

Plenty of bullets are designed to tumble and yaw, but that is suppose to happen in the flesh. Regardless of bullet design these should stabilize unless the weight in te bullets is wildly asymmetric.

That bullet is designed to do it sooner than most I believe.
I disagree. S&W refunded my 5.45 upper because it was key holing. I can't imagine they would have done that if the bullets were acting as designed. I emailed Ballistic Advantage today regarding this and the gas rings on the bolt that are shot after only one range trip. Guess we will see what they say.

I disagree. S&W refunded my 5.45 upper because it was key holing. I can't imagine they would have done that if the bullets were acting as designed. I emailed Ballistic Advantage today regarding this and the gas rings on the bolt that are shot after only one range trip. Guess we will see what they say.

No idea on the key holing. But what would the barrel have to do with worn gas rings? Is the carrier tighter than normal when a bolt with fresh rings is inserted? Can you see any rough machining inside the carrier? Worn out rings after one trip seem to indicate something other than possible over gassing.

ETA: sorry, just saw that you sourced the bolt from BA as well. Very strange.

Last edited:
No idea on the key holing. But what would the barrel have to do with worn gas rings? Is the carrier tighter than normal when a bolt with fresh rings is inserted? Can you see any rough machining inside the carrier? Worn out rings after one trip seem to indicate something other than possible over gassing.
I bought the barrel and bolt from them. Worn gas rings not related to the key holing, just a different issue I noticed today when cleaning. The carrier is Colt and shows no rough machining or burs. Honestly they may have been bad from the start, I didn't pay any attention when I got the bolt about a week ago. In all fairness, I didn't experience any short stroking or gas ring related failures, I just noticed when cleaning that the carrier will collapse onto the bolt under its own weight.

That bullet is designed to do it sooner than most I believe.

I did some reading on the issue and some people say that this round will stabilize more fully after the fist 25m or so from the muzzle.

Others said that was crazy talk

I really don't know which is right, but It's enough to keep me away from the round

I did some reading on the issue and some people say that this round will stabilize more fully after the fist 25m or so from the muzzle. Others said that was crazy talkI really don't know which is right, but It's enough to keep me away from the round
Bums me out because I really wanted to put my can on it. If it wasn't for the can I wouldn't even care about key holing as the gun is mainly a bullet hose but I really wanted it to be a suppressed bullet hose.

Back
Top Bottom