• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

90 days till SHTF

Extra food and items that good be hard to get like toothpaste, toothbrushes, antiperspirant, hand soap, laundry detergent, even filled two large gas cans (fixed with Sta-Bil). I've been buying extra garden seeds for several years now just in case. I planted almost 3 times as many sweet potatoes this year since they can winter over and carry over into next spring.

I was moving some stuff around in my storage shed and found two new garden eye-hoes that I had put together about 8 years ago. The head is large and heavy which makes it easy to work the soil. My garden is 16' by 24'. In all seriousness, to live off homegrown veggies, I'd have to enlarge the garden significantly to make it work. Gas for the tiller would run out eventually and hand tools would become the order of the day. I do have a lot of fruit trees, bushes, and vines already mature- apples and blueberries in May and June, figs in July, grapes in August and September, and pomegranates in October. Shouldn't have any opportunity for scurvy (vitamin C deficiency).

Park Seed usually runs a heavily discounted sale on their vegetable seeds in August. I usually load up for the next two years- stuff like bean seed, okra seek, cucumbers, squash for the spring/summer; and edible-podded sweet peas, collards, broccoli, cabbage, turnips, and mustard for the winter. The problem is during a SHTF longterm scenario, you would have to let your plants go to seed so you would have sufficient for the following year. Stockpile some extra 10-10-10 fertilizer, maybe some lime (can be used for certain disinfection situations), and organic gardening pesticides. Non-organic gardening pesticides might not store well and could degrade into other compounds that could be harmful.

Good topic Sir. Reading " One Minute After" although fiction is a good indicator of what happens to the unprepared. It ain't good.
The 2 sequels to "One Minute After" are great too. " One Year After
Good topic Sir. Reading " One Minute After" although fiction is a good indicator of what happens to the unprepared. It ain't good.
I believe it is actually "One Second After". The sequels "One Year After, and "The Final Day" are even better. They are required reading for anybody that plans to survive any nationwide disaster. Well written and very interesting. Link: https://onesecondafter.com/

Back
Top Bottom