85 D100 custom bogging down and dieing in gear.

No sight glass, im having to depend on the remanufacturer to have it set right. If i open up the carb the warranty is void. Supposedly they flow test and some other test it before shipping. For what ever thats worth.

If it runs fine when cold (choke closed) and dies when warm, it sounds like a big vacuum leak.
Check the egr and make sure it is working properly.
Another possibility (but pretty rare) for a large vacuum leak is the brake booster.

And given their reputation and my shops experience with Carb Junkies over the years, im all but positive that its set correctly. I know anyone can make a mistake, i make em all the time, but we have never gotten a faulty carb from them.

I'm thinking it has to be leaning out when you open the throttle but I can't figure out why it's only doing it when warm. I can't imagine vapor lock at these outside temps but I guess it's possible.

Does it have an egr valve? If so, have you tried taking it off and cleaning it? After it dies, will it restart and idle ok?

Once it warms up can you take off the fuel line to the carb and crank it over to see if you get a good stream of clean fuel? You'll obviously need a helper and a jar to pump the fuel into. This only applies if your running a mechanical fuel pump. If electric just turn the key to "run" and see if you get a good stream.

I figured out my fuel tank was full of crud by doing this and not getting fuel. I took the fuel line loose from the intake side of the pump and no fuel came out. If I blew air into the line leading to the tank I would get a brief stream of fuel when I pulled the airline away but it would quickly slow to a trickle, then stop.

Do all of the above tests in a well ventilated area with no source of ignition.

Last edited:
80s emissions.... looks like there is a vacuum switching valve for the egr that is closed when cold but opens when warm. Pull the line off of the egr valve and stick a golf tee Iv the line that this back to the valve. It's also possible that the line from the vacuum switch to the egr valve is bad and causing a massive vacuum leak when the valve opens. See below for the 5.2 diagram.

This would explain why it acts differently when warm.

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/1985-emissions-equipment-locations/

Alright ill try those tomorrow, thanks JDM and oldmetlfan, i appreciate the help. Starting to get to my wits end on this, though thats a short trip anyway lol.

You're welcome. I sold all but one of my vehicles with carbs 6 months ago and have been much happier since. My only other carb vehicle is currently not running for more reasons than just the carb.

I do still have a couple of pieces of outdoor equipment with carbs but they're easy enough to take apart and clean. I have been much happier since I started using ethanol free fuel in them though. Once you've pulled the fuel bowl off of a three year old pressure washer that the owner didn't drain the fuel before storing you will know why.

Found the issue! Horrible intake gasket leak, while idleing i was spraying carb clean on all the vacuum lines to double check them for leaks. Lines are fine but when the stream hit the seam between head and intake it made the engine stumble. So i focused on the intake and there is 3 places around the intake that are sucking air bad. Have the gasket on the way. Will let yall know once i have it on if it fixed it or not.
Thanks again everyone.

Oh by the way, ive eliminated the entire smog pump system now as well :)

Back
Top Bottom