85 D100 custom bogging down and dieing in gear.

It started a couple weeks ago, i knew the carb was in desperate need of a rebuild so when this started i chaulked it up to that. I had my carb completely rebuilt and flow tested by Carb Junkies(thats who my shop uses for all the carb jobs) but it dident solve this problem. I started off by changing spark plugs and wires, coil, distributor cap and button and the the vacuum advance on the distributor and then checked the timing.

Result, from a cold start its got the smoothest idle in the world and takes the gas as fast as you can give it to it, absolutly no hesitation what so ever. But after the engine warms up (say roughly 15-20 minutes of driving) the same problem occurs. Boggs down and dies, runs fine at idle in park or neutral but in gear its crap.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess vapor lock also, check your fuel return line, if the fuel doesn't flow fast enough it will boil and cause VL Also check fuel pressure. Someone earlier said something about trash in the tank, that could cause it too, as you draw fuel from the tank it clogs the sock on the pick up, when you turn it off the trash slowly floats away and it will flow again for a little while.

Ok, so i checked the choke. Its working as it should be. Double and triple checked the timing and its dead nuts where it should be, 12 degrees before top center. Replaced the fuel filter for the hell of it and cut off the catalytic converter and replaced it with steel pipe. No improvement at all. I checked the carb again and with the engine off but workin the throttle by hand it looks like its only squirting gas out of one side, the right side.
I know this is correct for some two barrels but cant find any info on mine to tell if its supposed to be 1 or both. Its a holly carb.

It probably has only one accelerator pump. Does it stumble, they die or just die?

If it sputters, can you pump the throttle and keep it going?

Yes it does only have one accelerator pump. It sputters and dies while driving it normally, but at an idle in park its fine. If i give it gas fast though it dies immediatly.

Does the carb have a sight glass sight glass so you can see the level in the fuel bowl? If so, does the bowl have the correct fuel level?

Back
Top Bottom