85 D100 custom bogging down and dieing in gear.

vernon.45

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
33   0
Reaction score
Im having an issue with my dodge truck, 1985 D100 custom, 318 c.i. (5.2 liter for you metric fans) with 2 barrel holley carb( almost bran new) and 4 speed auto trans.

Truck runs fine in park or neutral, and it drives fine until the motor warms up to where it always is temp wise. Then it starts bogging down like its not getting gas and then it dies. I can crank it and it fires right up but when i put it in gear it wont hardly take gas. I can baby it and poke along at about 10 mph, i checked the timing and its correct. The timing diagram on the hood says, 12 0 at idle with vacuum advance line unplugged. I assume this means 12 degrees BEFORE 0(top dead center) and thats where it is.

As stated, it has a new carb and all vacuum lines are where they should be. But just to be sure i replaced all that showed any signs of cracking or splitting. Still no improvement.

Is there anyone here who could throw me a bone on this one? Im thinking its probly something simple that im missing.

Sounds like my old GMC when I had trash and rust in the gas tank. I'm guessing your idle circuit is fine but once you get above idle you aren't getting enough fuel and leaning out.

That or you've got a sticking needle valve and the level in your fuel bowl is too low.

What would or could cause the fuel to get too hot?

Yeah thats what i was just saying to myself, no emissions so no catalytic converter. Shouldent be too hard to cut off and weld in a piece of pipe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom