• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

7mm ag Help??!!

Belted magnums have been a problem for some loaders and shooters. I recommend FL sizing belted cases for reliability. As stated before, the headspacing and shoulder dimension sizing requirements can be different.

I've used partial full length sizing with a 300 Win before, but usually just FL length a belted case, as I ain't never shot a belted case enough to worry much about case life. It seems like I may have neck dies for the 300? I haven't loaded for one in a while.

With properly adjusted dies, resized, trimmed, and chamfered cases should drop in and chamber easily. Neck or partially sized will of course likely require a bit more effort. I simply haven't tried skipping the sizing step altogether with a belted case.

I'm thinking die adjustment, though I have had some once fired brass from a Remington 770 that wouldn't resize to fit any chamber after one firing. I found out later this rifle suffered from bolt seizures too.

Last edited:
I will add, I've got a A-Bolt in 7 mag. I've only shot it a handful of times. I did load up 100 rounds from assorted range brass. I full sized them and cycled them through the action with no hang ups whatsoever. I trimmed none of the cases for length (not needed) and just made sure the overall loaded length was good.

A belted magnum headspaces off the belt instead of the shoulder of the case. If you fire it and don't resize the shoulder is likely expanded forward creating a bind. Again make sure that you read the die manufacturer's adjustment instructions and resize before trimming.
Be sure to always chamfer and debur after trimming, all bets are off if using nickeled cases.

Chuck is dead on, thats why i put in my origianal post one of the problems may be a improperly adjusted die.
belted magnum cases as he states head spaces on the belt.
what ever the problem is has to be something that has allowed the case to expand and not be properly resized, could be the case neck opening itself if not resized or out of round, but somethign has not been reduced in size.
take the dies out and totally readjust them using manufactures recocemndations and see if the problem doesn't go away.

Thanks for all the help!!! After sitting down and taking a closer look, it was the sizing process. I was reading paperwork for the 3 die set and I only have the 2 die set. Thanks again guys...

Back
Top Bottom