• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

7mm ag Help??!!

jeremyo

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
37   1
Reaction score
I'm new to reloading and I've only don 223 and 308 so far but I'm having a fit with 7mag... Heres the deal, it seems as if the bullet cases are to big to lock up in my browning a bolt. I thought it was the leangth of the case at first but after trimming it to spec, the empty case still wouldn't lock up. I broke out the caliper and figured out that the diamiter of the case is too fat... What do I do now??? The brass Im trying to get in there is once fired from the same rifle. The factory loads drop right in with no resistance. Has anyone else had this problem?

HMM? thtas interesting actually.
Now IF you hadn't said that they were originally fired in the same weapon then i would summize that possibly you have a very tight chamber in your weapon, but thats pretty much ruled out.
what i would suggest is a couple things, First have you checked the OAL of the completed bullet?
perhaps its to long and ramming against the rifling as you try to chamber it?
are there any marks on the end of the projectile from the rifling?
secondly even if with in the recommended OAL for the round it is possible that some projectiles have a different profile and are fatter near the tip as they taper down, that could also be rubbing against the sides of the chamber.
Have you checked the reccomended OAL for that particular round and projectile?
the only other thing that i can think of and this is certainly remote is that the brass was unusually soft and swelled considerbally and the resizing die either wasn't adjusted correctly or the die is bad and doesn't properly resize a fired case, again thats very , very remote.
try the OAL. maybe someone else can give you more ideas.

Make sure the dies decaping rod is not loose. I had this happen one time many moons ago and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. I was reloading 308 cases at the time. What was happening the expander plug was flopping sideways and bulging the shoulder of the case on the way out. What can I say you live and learn. Make sure that the decapping rod is centered in the die if it is not this can cause the same problem. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
If it came out of your rifle there's no reason the empty brass shouldn't go back in? Be sure to read your die manufacturer's instructions and follow them to the letter.

The devil's in the details. What dies are you using, etc?

As far as the over all leangth that shouldnt matter because the there is no projectile on the case... I can fire a round, eject it, then put it back and It wont fit, grrr... Its winchester or federal ammo

Let me recant, fire the round, eject it, trim it, then put it back and it wont lock tight... Its the diamiter of the case that's fatter, not the leangth. Is there such a thing as a "bullet stretcher"?

A fired case will most of the time expand to fit the chamber of the weapon, especially bolt actions. Have you tried to resize the case in the die? Are there any strech marks on the brass? Where are they? Are there areas of the brass that are bulged to indicate a scarred chamber? Try firing the weapon and make sure you put the brass in at the same point you took it out(index it) to see if it will go in, rotate it all around. Is the case lip clearing the ejection claw? See what you come up with.

A belted magnum headspaces off the belt instead of the shoulder of the case. If you fire it and don't resize the shoulder is likely expanded forward creating a bind. Again make sure that you read the die manufacturer's adjustment instructions and resize before trimming.

Be sure to always chamfer and debur after trimming, all bets are off if using nickeled cases.

Last edited:
full length or neck sizing? if full length then your die is off. if neck there is something funny going on. the case cant get any bigger than your chamber.

Back
Top Bottom