• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

714 Mile Motorcycle Trip

My wife and I have ridden to her hometown of Madison Wisconsin (853 mile round trip not counting running around up there) 10 or 12 times along with many trips to Florida, New Orleans, Texas and many other states. The first thing you should do is do as much riding before your trip to get your backside and your back conditioned for such a ride. Of course if your bike is 700 miles away that is easier said than done but maybe you can rent or borrow a bike to do this. TRUST ME, if you just jump on a bike, any bike and take off on a long road trip, you are NOT going to enjoy the ride and you will be stopping every hour or so.
Next comes the bike itself. How long has it been setting up and not being ridden. Don't take off on a long trip without at least having it serviced and checked out by a good reputable bike shop. Also you don't mention what kind of bike you have. Some bikes are made to take road trips on while others are made for short trips. Modifications such as drivers backrest and a touring seat can make a big difference too.
I could go on about the planning out for a motorcycle road trip but I am trying to keep you from being disappointed during and after what can and will be a very enjoyable trip if planned out correctly. Make sure you get a GOOD quality motorcycle rain suit. Not a cheap walmart special. A cheap one will shred while going down the highway. Hopefully you bike has a windshield. A couple hours on the road without one and the wind puts a lot of stress and pressure on your neck. The back of my neck used to feel like a knife sticking in it while riding a long ride. When I finally agreed to try a windshield that problem was history.
If you don't plan, prepare / condition yourself as well as your bike and map out a route ahead of time for a long road trip, the least of your worries will be whether you have a cell phone, GPS, Bluetooth or a way to keep them charged up. One more thing with your cell phone.. Take ALL of your emergency contact people and add "(I C E) " to their name in your contacts list. I C E means In Case of Emergency.
Lastly, I must agree with the others who have already mentioned it,,,,,,stay away from I-95. If you must go interstate, take I-16 from Savannah to Macon. Then take I-75 up to Tenn. and then whatever. I-75 gets hectic at times but it sure beats 500 plus miles on 95.
Have a great, safe and enjoyable trip. Ride free and safe.

Last edited:
I've done Alaska, and all the way up the Dalton Hwy to the Arctic Ocean.

+1 on checking out the Adventure Riders forum, lots of nice places to stay along the trip.

No Interstates, you can follow the coast up through Virginia. (Take the ferry whenever you can) Quality Rain suit, full faced helmet, Bluetooth gps with Ram mount, 12 volt outlet.

I used a tank bag for my phone, camera, and snacks. We halted every 100 miles or so for a stretch. We carried spare inner tubes as well.

Make it an adventure, not a slog.

I think the key question is what kind of bike. I have ridden over 900 miles in a day with wife on board on a Goldwing. If it's a big touring bike, 500-700 miles a day is an easy go.

I think the key question is what kind of bike. I have ridden over 900 miles in a day with wife on board on a Goldwing. If it's a big touring bike, 500-700 miles a day is an easy go.

I agree with you with the addition that if your body (butt, back, arms and neck) aren't conditioned for long stints in the saddle you ain't going to make it 200 miles without aching ang giving out. I don't care what bike your riding.

Get some
51N9N9E2S2L._SX300_.jpg

I have done a few 500 mile trips on my ex650. Your but will be a little sore but not painful.
My suggestions that may make the trip more enjoyable.
Take aleve the night before and the morning of. Really reduces the soreness.
Good gear, gloves and helmet. Have layers to keep your chest warm and a neck gator if your riding early morning or late. Once you neck,chest or hands get cold you are screwed.
Earplugs to kill the drone of the motor. Will help with the fatigue. I alternate earbuds with music in every few hours to help pass the time.
Do you have a battery tender? You can get a plug that fits it at cycle gear with a cigarette lighter plug for attachments. Gps or phone charger.
Cycle gear also sales a magnetic tank bag that has a fold up gps holder on the lid, it's like 50.00.
Of course rain gear just in case.
Small emergency kit. Just in case.
As said earlier stop every 100 to 150 miles. Walk around stretch. It make the day much more enjoyable.
Alternate tinted shield and clear shield or sunglasses if your helmet works with then.
Schedule enough time so you do not have to rush. When it become stressful it really starts to suck.
Enjoy the ride and be careful

ride over to the blue ridge parkway. take that north, ride to your destination. :)

some good info here. pay attention to good riding gear, helmet, ear plugs, etc. Buy a good pair of bicycle riding shorts to wear under anything you are riding in. I have a 5000mAh battery pack that I can use the charge my phone in my tank bag. Monoprice, about $20. will do three or four full charges.

and remember, it's supposed to be fun, right?

I rode an aprilia Mille R from Houston to ATL a few years ago for a friend. I got to Leeds AL before I cried uncle and got a hotel room for the night. A 1000cc italian v-twin wasn't the ideal ride in the summer on freeway from TX but I was young and stupid. but it was fun looking back on it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom